Newly installed latest version of Brave browser won't start

I was having problems with the application version from the Ubuntu repository as I reported here.

I got the opportunity today to install the latest version of Brave browser.

1. I started “Ubuntu Software Centre”
  2. I went to brave and selected “Remove”
  3. I successfully removed version 0.12.8 of Brave
  4. I went to https://www.brave.com/
  5. I clicked “Download Brave”
  6. I followed the instructions for Ubuntu 16.04:

curl Sorry, new users can only put 2 links in a post. | sudo apt-key add -
echo “deb [arch=amd64] Sorry, new users can only put 2 links in a post. lsb_release -sc main” | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-lsb_release -sc.list

I already had

lsb_release

installed, so I

sudo apt update
sudo apt install brave

I click the “Brave” button in the Ubuntu Unity launcher, and the button flashed, but the application doesn’t start.

I typed “brave” into “Search your computer” at the top of the launcher, clicked “Brave”, and the Unity launcher icon flashed, but the application doesn’t start.

I opened a terminal and typed “brave”:

el_gallo_azul@W2600CR-850Pro:~$ brave
[19289:19310:0818/170158.551401:ERROR:connection.cc(1963)] Web sqlite error 5, errno 0: database is locked, sql: PRAGMA auto_vacuum
[19289:19310:0818/170158.551953:ERROR:connection.cc(1963)] Web sqlite error 5, errno 0: database is locked, sql: PRAGMA journal_mode = TRUNCATE
el_gallo_azul@W2600CR-850Pro:~$

i. Your Operating System and version (Mac 10.11.x, Windows 7/8/10, Linux distribution, iOS 9/10, Android)
Description: Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
Release: 16.04

ii. Your Brave Version.
brave 0.18.23-1

D. Detailed step-by-step instructions of how you came across the issue.
i. I downloaded and installed Brave.
ii. I tried several ways to start Brave.
iii. Brave did not start.

Hi @el_gallo_azul

Would you be willing to try a clean profile for me? Here are the steps to do this:

1. First, make sure all instances of Brave are closed. Then, open Home folder
  2. Show hidden items(Ctrl+H)
  3. Open .config folder
  4. Rename the brave folder to be something like braveoriginal

Now, try launching Brave again. If successful, then something went haywire in your profile. Also, with this method, you will not have any bookmarks, pinned tabs, history, etc - you are starting new.

Thanks,
Lauren

Yes, it started that time.

Hopefully, it will keep working while I attempt to migrate everything across and then commence to use Brave as my default browser.

Thanks for confirming @el_gallo_azul

If you notice trouble again, please try to let us know the steps you took as best you can, I know it can be difficult to retrace exactly what happened. We appreciate you taking the time to report issues.

Thanks,
Lauren