New tabs don't open in desktop view on some websites

android

Brave/Chrome version: 1.0.54/68.0.3440.91
Android 5.0.2

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Set Brave to always prefer desktop view.
  2. Open news.google.com
  3. Make sure you have your Google search setting set to always open links in a new tab.
  4. Tap on any link.

Expected behavior:
The tapped link will open in a new tab that is in desktop view.

Actual behavior:
The tapped link will open in a new tab that is in mobile view.

Additional information:
Brave shields are set to HTTPs Everywhere and to block third party cookies. So far I have seen this behavior on on news.google.com. Other websites that open links in new tab will do so in anew tab that is in desktop view.

Interesting, I’m not able to reproduce.

@Mattches are you able to reproduce this one?

Thanks,
Lauren

Sorry for the late reply!

I am unable to reproduce, using my Galaxy S9, Android 8.0 on Brave V1.0.54.
Would you mind telling us what type of phone you’re using?

Sure, it’s a Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 SM-P900 tablet with Android 5.02. So far this issue only appears at news.google.com. Links opening from other websites are fine and will open in an new tab in desktop mode.

I’d like to give a little bit more details on this issue:

Google has recently changed its news site. News.google.com used to load in an instance even on slower devices. Not anymore. The new design has apparently introduced a lot more java script which is slowing rendering times considerably - especially on slower devices like mine.

When I open news.google.com my tablet need about 20 to 30 seconds to fully load and render everything (used to be less than 5 seconds).

If I click on a link while the website is still loading or rendering this link will open in a new tab in desktop view. If I wait for news.google.com to load and render fully and click on a link after rendering has finished the link will open in a new tab in mobile view.

If I deactivate java script news.google.com will load in about 3 seconds or so. But still links clicked will open in a new tab in mobile view.

Maybe it has something to do with the new design - I’m actually quite sure about this. Every link you click in news.google.com will open a website within the Google domain like https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEGlmypyg11n
This site will then redirect to the actual website.

On news.google.com Brave shields only block third party cookies. Additionally I have https everywhere active.