New Tab with Shields Down

During a typical day of browsing, I run accross many sites which do not work with the default shields settings. Because the shields are set by domain name, disabling shields at the login page is often not enough to get a successful login. This happens even with high profile services such as the AWS management console or my university’s Gmail portal.

So when this happens I have the option of changing the default shield settings, or switching browsers. If I switch browsers it is often for the rest of the day, which means I am not benefiting from shields at all the other sites I visit, and my data for publisher payments becomes incomplete.

My solution of choice would be an option for something like “New Tab with Shields Down”. Maybe the shield settings could even be customizable instead of simply off, but tied to the tab rather than the domain. That way I can easily log in to frustrating sites without switching browsers. Any thoughts?

Partly related: This upcoming ad technology that Brave is helping pioneer might help.

Hmm…
First off, I like it better as it is now: With shields up, every new tab works having shields up per default, with shields down, every new tab works having shields down per default - then it’s 2 (or 3) clicks to switch the shields off/on.
That said, the ability to switch the shields off only for the current tab might be a nice option in general… but it bears a kind of security risk: When you follow a link in the same tab, the shields are still down for the new site. So you need to keep an eye on the shields symbol all the time… maybe “Shields off for the current site” would be better - which already exists in the form of “Site Shield Settings” which is NOT on the Shields panel but under “Menu” (the three-lines-symbol right beside the shields symbol) -> “Shields”. Strangely, it seems that once you used a site-specific setting, you can’t change the default for all sites anymore.
Is this a bug? (Version 0.23.31, should be the newest one)
Or do I miss something? If so, how can I change the default after I made a site-specific setting for the shields?

With shields up, every new tab works having shields up per default, with shields down, every new tab works having shields down per default - then it’s 2 (or 3) clicks to switch the shields off/on.

maybe “Shields off for the current site” would be better

Yeah, these are the issues I am trying to address…

1. You go to a site and try to log in.
  2. It fails, you adjust site shields
  3. It still fails. You go to the network console and try to catch all the domains that are being used and attempt to create shield exceptions for them.
  4. It still fails.
  5. You decide to open just this one site in a Firefox tab
  6. You end up with 20 more sites in Firefox tabs.

It seems preferable to accept a few dedicated tabs of insecure browsing while the more elaborate methods mentioned by chriscat are developed.

So, it does work when you switch off the shields completely?
I see you point: Being able to switch off the shields for everything you do in a specific tab would be better than switching off the shields for every tab… as an additional option. But then I would want a clear indicator that tells me whether the Shields are off or on in a specific tab.