New Tab page hides info from extension

bug

Description of the issue:

Brave displays the “New Tab page” instead of a page that a browser extension is trying to show the user.

I installed the Enpass password manager’s chrome plugin so that I can use its autofill features. For a while it seemed to not be working. But then I noticed a little blip in the rendering of the tab it was opening up. Brave was hiding a helpful message it was trying to display to me.

I imagine this issue will be present in other extensions that try to open a new tab to show users information.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary)

1. Install the Enpass browser extension from the web store.
  2. Click on the extension icon in the toolbar.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

The “New Tab Page” is shown instead of the information that the extension is trying to show me.

Expected result:

I should see something like this:

Reproduces how often:

Every time I click the extension’s toolbar button.

Brave Version(about:brave):

Version 0.57.18 Chromium: 71.0.3578.80 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):

Yes.

Additional Information:

There are two workarounds:

To initially read the information the extension is trying to show you, just click the back button in the newly opened tab. (You have to know it’s there, though. :cry:)

To enable the extension to work correctly with Brave, you’ll need to go into the Enpass application’s preferences, in the “Browser” tab and uncheck the “Verify browsers” tab. (It doesn’t seem to know about Brave yet.) Once unchecked, the extension will be able to communicate with the application, and won’t try to open a new tab to show you help info.

I’m going to file a bug w/ the Enpass folks about the “Verify browsers” issue and link it here if I’m able.

Oh, and just as I posed this the search box suggested:

New Tab Extensions Don’t Work?

Which says that a fix will be released in 0.58.x, via this issue:
https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/993

Nice! :+1:

I’ve created a related thread over in the Enpass forums here:

closed #4