Network Fee $4.10 for $5.00 Monthly Contribution - AYFKM?

I’m a bag holder of BAT, which I thought would be a good concept that has, sadly, yet to materialise - at least returnwise.

However, wanting to be supportive, I went to the Payments Page to send BTC your way and noted a network fee of $4.10 for a $5.00 Monthly top up.

That is outrageous! Perhaps you guys should look into Bitshares for far less expensive transfer fees. Otherwise, I think BRAVE contributions are not value for money IMHO.

I’ll be watching this space for improvement. Cheers

That would be why we turned off the buy widget months ago. :slight_smile:

Which version are you on currently?

Thanks for that. Below is the info of my current Brave. I recently updated
Brave and I just checked and I’m advised I’m up to date.

In any event, I am in credit with my account and I don’t plan sending more
BTC with fees almost as much as the contribution amount.

Brave: 0.18.23
rev: 36ae2ec06efed0057ae16351108bf4d4c10a7ab4
Muon: 4.3.10
libchromiumcontent: 60.0.3112.90
V8: 6.0.286.52
Node.js: 7.9.0
Update Channel: dev
OS Platform: macOS
OS Release: 16.7.0
OS Architecture: x64

Cheers,

Nunya

Using Bitcoin now for micropayments isn’t advised, until the problem with full blocks goes away. Right now, the blocks are full, so all transactions get into a bidding war for room within those blocks. It’s hard to figure out the correct transaction fee to pay: too little and your transaction will get caught in limbo for nearly forever, too much and you will overpay. Bitcoin Core is doing a good job of estimating the fee to pay, but that’s a pretty heavyweight solution, as it requires you to run a full node.

I like the idea of paying the Bitcoin directly to the address given on the “Three ways to add funds” dialog box. I’ll try it out, when I get home to plug in my external hard drive that has the blockchain on it, my laptop doesn’t have enough storage to hold it all, which somewhat defeats the utility of being able to use Bitcoin from anywhere…

Successfully funded my Brave Payments account a few days ago, using Bitcoin Core (full node). Transaction fee was roughly 0.000045 BTC, about 18 cents (assuming $4000 per Bitcoin).

The transaction confirmed in a reasonable amount of time (the waiting time was not unusually long, compared to what it normally is). Everything seems to be running smoothly now.

Josh

Thanks for the advice. I’ll give it another look.

Cheers

Have we considered Litecoin ($LTC)?

We have decided to go with our tokens.

There are a number of wallets out there. I use the Trezor hardware wallet (www.trezor.io) and it provides the opportunity to set custom fees. Whenever I top up my Brave payments, I send it with a 1 satoshi fee. Some people call this “spam”, but I call it “who cares if it takes two days to get there.”

Perhaps accepting BitcoinCASH or Litecoin would be useful, but they’d need to keep additional software running and it’d probably be best if they focus on integrating their Basic Attention Token, an ERC20 token.

With BAT Payments (Mercury) being released last week in 0.19.48, you should now see other funding alternatives within about:preferences#payments:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.