My password or login information has suddenly disappeared.

When I started BRAVE, my password and login information for each site was lost. I opened the password manager and all my passwords were gone.
My bookmarks and website browsing history are still there.

The only thing I can think of is that I got a popup for automatic blocking of cookie permissions and I just selected “No”.

Is there any way to restore the password?

Which OS are OS version are you using? (such as iOS 16.4, Android 10, Android 12, etc)

Which version of Brave are you using? (such as Brave 1.50.119, 1.49.1, etc)

Do you have your device synced with any other devices?

@sampson perhaps I should dig for more info before tagging you, but figured I’d let you know it seems like another person is posting with this issue. I know you were investigating. Not sure overall status yet.

Brave version: v1.50.121

No synchronization with other devices.

I just updated my OpenSUSE/Tumbleweed PC to Brave Version 1.51.110 Chromium: 113.0.5672.77 (Official Build) (64-bit)] and noticed that all the saved passwords are missing from brave://settings/passwords. FWIW, I have never used the Sync feature.

Curiously, if I use the ‘less’ command to view the binary file ~/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Default/Login Data, I can see all the URLs from the missing password entries among other the binary data. So, maybe the (encrypted) passwords are still in this file, but just can’t be decrypted. I don’t know.

Also, I updated to Brave Version 1.51.110 on a second computer and the same thing happened, all saved passwords were gone from the password manager page. So, this issue is repeatable.

Finally, before doing the second PC browser update, I exported the saved passwords to a file as a precaution. Then, after the browser update lost all of the saved passwords, I was able to use the exported file to successfully restore the passwords.

I hope someone can find a way to recovery the lost saved passwords as I do not have a recent export of the first computer’s saved passwords.

@fredp Do a favor and try to swing by NOTICE: Unexplained Data Loss Issue if you would. I know Mattches is hoping people will read his topic in detail and then provide as much information as they can. He’s detailed different tiers of info for people to reply with. Brave is definitely trying to figure it out, but been a headache.

2 Likes

Anyone having this issue, please fully read post by Mattches at NOTICE: Unexplained Data Loss Issue and reply there with as much information as possible.

Brave is investigating and working on getting things resolved. There’s no ETA. It may not be quick. It’s unknown at this time if information will ever be able to be recovered for those who have had it vanish. They are trying to figure out what’s going on with everyone and hoping to get the best solutions. Unfortunately it’s not quick or easy to do.