My brave profile is corrupt and wont load any web pages. And hangs the whole computer

@Asinum,
This is very strange – it’d be one thing to have this behavior happen with a profile that has extensions and lots of browsing data/built up cache. But if you’ve reset your settings I’m hesitant to think that’s the case. I have a few things to test if you’re willing.

First, try disabling Hardware Acceleration and see if this improves performance. You’ll find this in Settings --> Additional Settings --> System --> Hardware Acceleration.
Getting there through the menu may be hard given your situation (as you said it took forever just to get the version number). So if it’s taking forever, you can try launching the browser from the Terminal with Hardware Acceleration disabled by opening your macOS Terminal application and entering the following command:

open -a "Brave browser.app" --args - disable-gpu

Next, I would try creating a new profile and see if performance improves when using this new profile. Again, I recognize it may be difficult to navigate the menu – as an alternative, you can achieve the same thing by doing the following:

1. Close any/all Brave windows.
  2. Open Finder on your mac and navigate to ~/Users/[Your user name]/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser
  3. Find the Default folder located here – assuming that you haven’t created multiple additional profiles, this folder holds most of your browsing data.
  4. If you’d like to keep a safe copy of this data, do so now (copy and save it somewhere else easy to find). Then, delete the Default folder.
  5. Now launch Brave. The browser should launch and generate a new default folder.

Now with Brave open and a fresh profile, test and see if performance improves.

Let me know what you find out.

2 Likes