My Brave is Broken. No reward ads + No update checking

Description of the issue:

So, I realized I had ads appearing at my smartphone, but not on my computer. I looked at the history and I don’t see a reward ad since February.

Also, I can’t check for updates. When I go into “about brave”, I got an error.

I’ve already tried a standalone install

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

Using brave normally

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

No reward ads. Error when checking for update: An error occurred while checking for updates: Update check failed to start (error code 3: 0x80004002 – system level).

Expected result:

Plenty of reward ads, Updating automatically.

Reproduces how often:

Everytime

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

Windows 10
Version 1.12.114 Chromium: 84.0.4147.135 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

I do not use VPN.
I do not have an Anti-Virus (and I don’t think Windows Defender is blocking the connection)

I have these extensions:
Behind the Overlay
Do I Access
Foxit PDF Creator
Sales Handy
Google Docs Offline
Google Meet Grid View
Google Translate
Hypothesis
Loom for Chrome
MeddleMonkey
mymind
Notion Web Clipper
Reedy
Roam Highlighter
Save IG Live Story
Simple mass downloader
Stream recorder
Stylish
Twitter Media Assist
Video Speed Controller
Volume Control

1 Like

Thank you for reporting! Please DM with the following information:

• Copy/paste your Wallet ID (found on brave://rewards-internals)
  • Your OS and Brave version (first three lines in brave://version)
  • A screenshot of your Rewards panel in Settings --> Brave Rewards.

This will help to speed up the troubleshooting. Thank you in advance!

1 Like

@lucasrato,
Wallet information should never be shared publicly – please use a DM next time. Also, I would wager that one or both of these issues is being caused by one of the many extensions you have installed. Can you try either disabling them all or, more efficiently, try creating a new profile (Menu --> Create new profile) and see if the issues persist?

Sorry, I didn’t know that…

I created a new profile, the update checking is still broken. I’ve started the rewards ads, let’s see if something will appear (I do not think so)

To confirm, you do not have any extensions enabled at all in this new profile – correct? Also, are you sure that when you downloaded/ran the standalone installer, that you ran the correct version for your machine (32bit vs 64bit)?

Yes, no extensions, as you can see here:

And yes I have 64bit and downloaded the correct standalone installer

@lucasrato Please create a C:\BraveUpdate.ini file with the following contents:

[LoggingLevel]
LC_CORE=5
LC_NET=4
LC_PLUGIN=3
LC_SERVICE=3
LC_SETUP=3
LC_SHELL=3
LC_UTIL=3
LC_OPT=3
LC_REPORT=3
[LoggingSettings]
EnableLogging=1
LogFilePath="C:\BraveUpdate.log"
MaxLogFileSize=10000000
ShowTime=1
LogToFile=1
AppendToFile=1
LogToStdOut=0
LogToOutputDebug=1
[DebugSettings]
SkipServerReport=1
NoSendDumpToServer=1
NoSendStackToServer=1

Once you have done this, launch Brave and attempt to look for an update. When you do this, and it fails, you should see a new C:\BraveUpdate.log file created. Note the “log” suffix here, compared to the “ini” suffix of the file you created.

This log file will contain information about the updat attempt, and possibly why it failed. Please provide the contents of that file to either myself, @steeven, or @Mattches via DM.

Thank you!

1 Like

please read DM me @steeven .

It’s been a few days my message was not responded to

1 Like

Now i’m really tired that you guys at Brave not even able to make things work correctly… This is YOUR job, now everyone here is presenting one million different issues. This is ridiculous. We are not all developers and we all don’t have the time to come and explain all those things related with YOUR product doesn’t working as it should. I’m sad when i think i’ve been working and promoting for you guys. And now, ads not showing up for weeks and August rewards in BAT not paid. No customer service neither just this creepy forum. For real guys is this really what Brave is? I’m so disappointed i have no more words…

1 Like

Wow, you really seem upset…
Yes, I’ve been facing this issue for many months, but only now I decided to do something to fix it and post here, and they’ve been pretty supportive.
Regarding the ads, I’m not that mad, this is just a way they managed to give us something, like a bonus. The browser is free, so it’s not like we’re paying for the service (in fact, with the reward ads we’re receiving something for using it)…

Anyways, I won’t treat the staff like I’m a paying customer who deserves all the attention. Developing something that great is hard, and mistakes and failures occur along the way, the feedback we post here is important so they can know whether they are going in the correct way or not. Maybe now they got into a wrong path, which led too many people in problem. But this is life bro, do not get that upset regarding a simple software, there are more important things than that. I’m sure they’re doing the best as they can.

3 Likes

Are you kidding? You are talking about people with a token sitting on a Market cap of 472,98 Million dollar worth… Bro… When you do something… You have to do it right. Brave creators are suppose to be among the heavy weight within the Internet and Browsers ecosystem in the world!! But guess what? They can’t make an add appear on your system without you having to do all kinds of creepy stuffs. And guess what? They can’t pay you the mini tiny part of Bat you EARNED using their system… And well… Other browsers also are free… Isn’t it? I maintain this is totally not acceptable and not looking professional. Trust goes down.

Hello, @Freyfrey. We’re happy to assist you as well.

Developing software is not always an easy task. Especially when you consider the differences between everybody’s computers, software they may have installed, software they may have on their routers, or that may be running with their ISP or restrictions applied in a larger region. Add to that language differences, accessibility differences, and more. We work very hard to test Brave in a broad arrangement of environments and devices, but there will inevitably be holes and shortcomings. We do aim to minimize those.

I’m currently working to meet with @lucasrato one-on-one via Zoom to assist further. I know of no other browser vendor who actively works to address issues in a similar manner. My apologies when we don’t yield quicker results; I can only say we’re trying. We will yield better results with time, and as the software matures.

Kind regards,

Sampson

3 Likes

I’m not a bad person just i think it is frustrating somehow you know… And as i am very enthusiastic about things i also am maybe ‘too’ quickly disappointed… You might be sitting on a big market cap however it is not yet Bitcoin nor Google… Anyway comparing might be just useless. I still love your project i have a dedicated poster for Brave on the homepage of my site with thousands of visitors each months, my site is Brave verified creator. I will continue to support Brave but… Please. Fix those stuffs asap :slight_smile: XD Ok? Thank you very much i think your team is great and your project too! Frey

Thank you for the support, @Freyfrey.

We’re very much committed to making Brave and related properties the best they can possibly be, ensuring a smooth and enjoyable experience for users like yourself. Your support and patience are appreciated.

Please do continue to report any issues you find; I can’t stress enough the amount of true, meaningful value users like you bring to the project.

Sampson

2 Likes

An update here regarding @lucasrato’s issue; it looks like the update process is running on limited privileges. As a result, when it wishes to check for an update, it’s interrupted by Windows asking the user if they would like to permit the network access.

We’re going to look into how this could have happened (browser and update process running with different privileges) and how to address. Thank you again, Lucas, for your incredible patience while we work out a solution.

@lucasrato, the quickest solution may be to uninstall Brave (after backing-up your history, bookmarks, passwords, etc.), completely removing relevant directories from the file-system*, and reinstalling.

Directories to delete after uninstalling:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\BraveSoftware
  • %localappdata%\BraveSoftware

This, I would expect, should resolve the problem. If you decide to take this approach, please pay close attention to the install process just in case Windows attempts any funny business :slightly_smiling_face:

Well, since the problem was in BraveUpdate, I just entered C:\Program Files (x86)\BraveSoftware, deleted the folder BraveUpdate and ran the StandAlone Installer.

It worked!
(Also Windows isn’t prompting the window asking permission to run the BraveUpdate anymore)

:partying_face:

Fantastic work, @lucasrato. I’ll make a note of this on our end, and we’ll see to it that we do everything we can to prevent it from happening again. Please do let us know if you encounter any further issues.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.