Mute a tab without switching to the tab

I think a recent update has broken this feature. It used to be possible to mute a tab that was not selected but now, I have to switch to the tab to mute it. Can this feature be restored in a future update. Great project & keep up the good work.

Hi and welcome. :smiley:

I have a question… Do you know anything about the below flag in brave://flags? I’m wondering what it does! Some articles I found were pretty old and said this was no longer available in Google Chrome. But then some recent ones say it became available again in the Chromium 100 release. Is this related to "It used to be possible to mute a tab that was not selected but now, I have to switch to the tab to mute it. " and would enabling that flag give you the “old” option back?

Tab audio muting UI control

When enabled, the audio indicators in the tab strip double as tab audio mute controls. – Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS, Fuchsia
#enable-tab-audio-muting

1 Like

I created the account just to warn about this… It’s quite annoying, I hope they can fix it soon

2 Likes

I also created an account for this single issue. It looks like Brave have fixed this in the latest update…

I literally created an account because of this issue not being resolved. I use Brave on a Macbook Pro, so please no questions about Windows, Chrome, or Firefox.

When I open multiple tabs from the same type of site (see: screenshot), Brave links the sound for all of them and only lets me mute from whichever tab was opened first. Problem is, it my look like the same site, but there are different things playing in each tab. In my case, multiple tennis matches.

Sometimes, I need to mute certain tabs because of commercials, background music, or a loud noise during a break which interferes too much with other matches still in play. Some streams are louder than others, so lowering or raising the volume within a tab isn’t always enough. Sometimes, I simply need to mute the 2nd & 4th tabs but keep tabs 1 & 3 in play, etc.

Can we please just fix this? I’ve seen multiple threads created about this issue dating back various years & it never seems to be adequately resolved. I’m very good about doing the regular Brave updates when prompted.

One more thing, whenever the primary tab playing the sound for ALL of the similar tabs gets closed, it throws off all the other tabs. Meaning, the tennis streams will automatically pause / stop playing / freeze & start buffering.

If a tab refresh is insufficient, I have to close out all the streams, go into history, reopen them, & then select a new one to be the primary tab playing audio for all of the remaining tabs. It’s a nuisance.

Please excuse typos.