Muon Webview vs. Electron Webview

Hi, I’m interested to learn more about the differences between Muon and Electron. It’s not clear to me which parts of the Muon docs apply to Electron and which apply to Muon.

I have a prototype of a browser-like application which I recently ported from qbrt (Gecko) to Electron and makes use of the Webview API, but I’m concerned about the lack of sandbox when loading un-trusted web content in a webview. It’s not a huge issue at this prototyping stage, but I understand that Muon re-introduces the Chromium sandbox to Electron and wondered whether it might be a better option for me in the future.

At what cost does the re-introduction of the Chromium sandbox come? What features do you lose? I understand the original plan was to contribute these changes back upstream but that the Electron community didn’t want to make the changes. Why was this?

In particular:

• Does Muon provide the same Webview API as Electron?
  • Can the main browser window still be configured to have access to Node APIs?
  • What can’t Muon do that Electron can?
  • What can Muon do that Electron can’t?

What I’m looking for is the ability to have privileged chrome written in HTML, CSS & JS which can access Node APIs and untrusted web content safely sandboxed inside a webview.

Thanks

cc: @brian @anthony @clifton to provide more info

I’ve just noticed the blog post where Brave announced the re-write based on Chromium instead of Muon. I guess this means that Muon is not going to be supported going forward and that building something new on top of Muon is not a good idea?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.