Multiple window opening problem

Description of the issue:
With Brave turned off, if you click the link from an external application, multiple windows will open.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. With Brave turned off
  2. Click on the link from an external application (WhatsApp, Twitter etc.)
  3. When Brave opens to open the link, it opens in multiple windows.

Actual Result:
minify

Expected Result:
Only one window should open.

Reproduces how often:
Always

Brave Version:
Version 1.19.86 Chromium: 88.0.4324.96 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Reproducible on current live release:
Yes

Additional information:
I’m using macOS Catalina v 10.15.7

The problem continues.

Brave Version:
Version 1.22.70 Chromium: 89.0.4389.105 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Hello,

I have the same problem here.

Brave: 1.38.115 Chromium: 101.0.4951.64 (Build officiel) (arm64)

Thank you.

@alikarahisar , @ypictures3

Please confirm for Brave Support (@Mattches) that you have set Brave Browser to be the default Internet browser.

Thanks.

Possibly related issue:

Full Screen Multi-tab to Single-Tab Not Working Properly

@289wk @Mattches Yes I confirm Brave Browser was and still set as the default internet browser.
I hope you will find the solution.
Best regards.

Hmm, it was set to default. I toggled it to another browser and then back to see if that would cause something internally to fire off again. No luck.

@ypictures3 @TheJoeMobley please update to the latest version of Brave (v1.39.111 at the time of writing this). Can you confirm how many Windows open when you click the link in an external app?

I’m also curious if you see this same behavior when you set a different browser to be your default, then click a link on an external app — do you see two or more windows open when a different browser is set to default?

@Mattches Thank you for your answer.

I had and I still have the last version of Brave (v 1.39.122 at the time of writing this).

Two windows open. One with the desired content and one empty.

I did set temporarily Chrome as my default Browser and the behavior was correct (only one window).

Very strange behavior. Do you have any extensions installed in the browser at this time?

I’m also wondering if you have no default browser set to open links and you click one, it should display the “which app would you like to use to view this link” window — if you select Brave there, does it still open with the two windows?

@Mattches
Thank you for your answer.

No I do not have any extension installed in the browser.

When I click on a link I can only “Copy the link” (and when I paste it, it works fine in this case).

Can you please test this out as well:

@Mattches
I do not have the kind of option “Which App would you like to use to view this link”. When I click on a link I can only “Copy the link” (and when I paste it, it works fine in this case).

@ypictures3
You’re on macOS or Windows?

@Mattches I am on macOS.

@ypictures3,
Can you tell me what you have your Brave set to open to when launched, under On startup?

@Mattches

Thank you for your answer.
Here you go.

@ypictures3,
If you change the selected option to one of the other ones does it change the behavior at all?

@Mattches I have chosen the first one (Ouvrir la page “Nouvel onglet”) and it works! :grinning: The problem is solved! Thank you very much!! :grinning:

1 Like

You’re very welcome. I have forwarded this information to the team anyway because even with the middle option selected, it should still only open one Window (I think). Appreciate you bringing this to our attention.