Multiple issues: rewards balance not loading, unable to verify, receiving no rewards and all BAT lost

Briefly describe your issue:
Rewards has worked for me on desktop and laptop devices but my android browser has issues. In chronological order:

1. My brave rewards balance has never loaded correctly when tapping the rewards icon in the bar. I have to access the rewards settings page to view my balance.
  2. Unable to verify - I saved up around 25 BAT in order to verify but verification (with uphold) never worked.
  3. A few months ago, those 25 BAT disappeared, my balance showed 0, and I have not earned a single reward since despite receiving multiple ads per day. Account still shows unverified.

What Operating System and Brave version are you using (Menu --> About Brave)?
Android 12, Brave 1.40.113, Samsung Galaxy S21

Is your browser wallet currently verified? (yes/no)
No

What date did you verify your wallet?
Not verified

Have you been able to successfully receive payments in the past?
Yes

Are you using a VPN? (yes/no)
Sometimes. It makes no difference in the outcome.

Are you in a supported region (see here for list of supported regions)?
Yes, I am in the US

Does your device pass the SafteyNet check (Android only)?
Yes

Have you manually turned off Auto-contribute on all of your devices linked to Uphold??
Yes

Thanks for your response. The rewards internals page says my wallet hasn’t been created yet, which is very odd since I had been earning bat for a couple years before all of this happened. The Wallet Payment ID field won’t take my email address. Any idea how to proceed?

@ryfy

Please ignore my previous reply (though it may be useful in the future).

Some review . . .

Brave Rewards account/wallet (lower-case letter ‘w’) when not verified, and you pay attention to ads, may accumulate and store vBAT.

Brave Rewards account/wallet (lower-case letter ‘w’) IF - WHEN VERIFIED, and you were paying attention to ads, would not accumulate and store vBAT. Instead, BAT would be sent to your account at your Custodial Wallet Provider and exchange - in your case, Uphold.

https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034841711-What-is-a-verified-Brave-Rewards-profile-How-do-I-verify-my-Brave-Rewards-

Wherever the Brave Rewards wallet (lower-case ‘w’) plus the vBAT that the wallet contains, are secreted away in sub-folders of your BraveSoftware folder that is in the path:

Linux OS:

• $HOME/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/

Mac OS:

• /Users/username/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/

Windows OS:

• C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\

. . . I recommend backup of the BraveSoftware folder, in order to keep the Brave-Browser folder intact. And I would want that, especially in Windows OS situations.

Your wallet containing vBAT - is something that you take steps to preserve.

Better chances when restoring, to drag-copy the Brave-Browser folder (or contents of interest therein) . . . that was/were saved within the backed-up BraveSoftware folder.

Backup Software and Tips

Include date and time in the backup filename. For example:

• 20220629-1627_BraveSoftware_fldr_bkup.zip

• BraveSoftware_fldr_bkup_20220629-1627.zip

I strongly recommend that backups be stored on an attached, external hard drive.

OK to also locate backups on your computer - as long as the backups are OUTSIDE of the path of the Brave Browser installation. You might create a new directory on your computer, for such storage (Windows OS example):

• C:\Important_Backups\

@289wk thanks for your reply. I understand what you are saying. However, my issue is specifically with Brave for Android. The more I have looked into this, the more I believe the update that introduced the new wallet implementation wiped my 25 vbat. This is frustrating since the reason I had to collect so much vbat in the first place was due to brave continually increasing the minimum for verification. Even after I amassed the required amount, verification continued to fail, likely due to yet another policy change about a lifetime maximum number of connections to Uphold. So it was impossible for me to verify despite spending years accruing vbat, at which point Brave changed the wallet implementation and I am suddenly with a zero balance. This is on top of the fact that I am still unable to view my balance anywhere except the rewards settings page (I get an endless spinner anywhere else). Any idea where I might be able to find my vbat in the Android filesystem?

I am also still unable to earn any v/bat at all from ads (i see projected earnings but they are never delivered). I am hesitant to create a new wallet in case it would remove any possibility of recovering the vbat I spent so long collecting. I imagine the disconnect between earning v/bat and the reason I get an endless spinner while trying to load my balance could be connected.

@ryfy

Preserving records

I would keep periodic screenshots, plus screenshots of alerts and un-expected events.

vBAT

Try GoodSync for Android: ‘https://www.goodsync.com/download?os=android

You also need GoodSync installed on a parent / mothership desktop/laptop computer.

Back up from Android to that computer.

Otherwise, Brave Sync may be used; but, I would choose GoodSync, because I probably could then find the particular folder that is the parent for, and container of, the

Brave Browser Android > Brave Rewards wallet

You might be the first person to do that and report back here, having found WHERE the effective-parent, BraveSoftware folder for Brave-Browser folder is, within your Brave Browser Android user’s Profile . . . in the GoodSync-backed-up (from Android to computer) folders that are, on the computer.

I prefer backing up the BraveSoftware folder, the parent for the Brave-Browser folder.

The reason for backing up the Brave-Browser folder, let’s use the Windows OS path for example:

• C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\

is, that your vBAT and the security credentials for encrypting:

• Brave Rewards wallet (lower-case ‘w’ for unverified)

are in that path - within the Brave-Browser folder and its sub-folders.

At the least, consider the Brave-Browser folder as a real-life wallet that you would keep safe and take steps not to lose.

If you wish, request help, by completing the Brave Rewards Support Ticket Form at:

https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360001302431’

Wallet Payment ID would be required in the ticket form and will be found at: brave://rewards-internals/

If you do not locate your Wallet Payment ID, then you might use the general support ticket form:

https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360001330571

and make clear, at first, that you could not locate your Wallet Payment ID.

Yet, there may be some developing technical reasons for why you do not see what you expect - where you expect . . .

Perhaps @Saoiray or @Chocoholic may assist.

@289wk I can’t offer anything additional. AFAIK you covered the bases. :slightly_smiling_face:

@ryfy I think you should submit a request as suggested especially since you are experiencing multiple issues. I think your account may be flagged and your vBAT is in limbo since your vBat was never transferred to your Uphold account. Only Brave support can remove a flag if it is not being removed by the automatic evaluation system. Once the flag is removed, you may get additional messages which will help with solving the Uphold issue. The wallet payment id issue is very strange and I think support will have to work through that one. So, bottom line, just submit a request using the form linked below. :smiley:

Edit: Ooops. Wrong link linked. Replaced with correct information. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@289wk @Chocoholic I believe most of these issues may be due to some sort of routing or connectivity issue. I’ve managed to recover my bat and verify my wallet but it’s been a very strange process with a lot of luck involved.

The balance wasn’t loading as per usual so I just left it there for a long while. About 10 minutes later, the balance loaded and it showed the correct amount of bat. At this point, I finished the wallet creation process and verified with Gemini. However, my balance immediately went to zero and then the balance stopped loading again. A few days went by and the browser was again not loading the balance, again showing unverified, and Gemini showed a zero balance. At this point I remembered a post I came across a long time ago about how some US-based folks had issues and needed to make a vpn connection to europe to make things work. I tried this and immediately Brave showed the correct balance, a verified wallet and Gemini showed the correct balance as well.

There were likely many issues intersecting to create this constellation of symptoms but it appears to be mostly resolved. I even received the past few months of bat that I had not been able to collect. Very strange. If past experience is any indicator, things may fall out of sync again until I connect with a vpn but we’ll see.

Thanks for all of your help, folks.

@ryfy Glad your issue was resolved even if you had to jump through hoops! You should mark your post above as the solution ( :point_up_2:). It will help other community members and support staff know you no longer have a problem.

I found changing your vpn location from USA to Europe was interesting (and weird). I haven’t seen that suggestion before. Also, it is the exact opposite of what you would expect. I would have thought your account was more likely to be flagged for doing that.

I wonder if changing your vpn location actually cleared vpn cache which may have been causing problem? Who knows and no end-user is probably going to test that one! lol

Again, glad your problem is solved and mark your post as the solution! Take care. :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.