"Move Tab to New Window" -- can multiple tabs be moved to a new window as a group?

I selected a group of tabs and then right-clicked on one of them to activate the context menu’s “Move Tab to New Window” option.

When I then clicked on that option only the current tab was moved.

Can multiple tabs be selected and moved with that option?

1 Like

@mattches No replies to date so I’m @-ing you to see whether you know.

Seems that if multiple tabs❄ can be ‘selected,’ then selecting the option to ‘Move Tab to New Window’ should operate on all of them.

But maybe not.

:snowflake: Cmd-Tab selects individual tabs consecutively to create a ‘group.’
Shift–Tab selects all tabs between tab with current focus and the selected tab.

Thanks.

Brave Release
Mac OS Mojave

@mk7z,
Interestingly enough, I’m able to do this without issue – further, I had no idea you can do this. But if you observe the short recording here, you can see me using shift + click to select muiltiple tabs, then drag them into their own new window:

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m not sure why it didn’t work when I tried it prior to the original post (which is why I posted back in May). At the time it appeared that only one tab had been moved (either the first or last tab selected, I don’t recall which). I guess I should have tried it again. :wink:

That said, when I first raised this feature (long ago) the intent was to be able to select the destination window. Most of the time, when I want to move tabs, it’s to an existing window, not to a new one.

How hard would it be to add that?

Thanks again for the quick reply.

@mk7z,
I’m not sure I see the point – when you have a window you want to drag 1 (or more) tabs into, simply drag those tabs into the tab bar area in the desired window. Test it with one tab first by creating a new window, then pull a tab into it. Then try it with multiple.

@mattches I recall that you liked my idea when I originally presented it. Looks like times have changed. :wink:

Unless I’m misunderstanding what you’re referring to, I’d have to already have the destination window open as a second window.

That’s a lot more work than being able to just right-click on one of a group of selected tabs in the current window and select the destination window for the ‘move’ from a pop-up of all currently-open windows.

I also personally avoid ‘dragging’ when a menu option for the same action is available, since I find dragging to be temperamental (or maybe it’s my hand that’s temperamental). If I’m not really careful even when just trying to slide a tab into a different position in the same window, I often end up with it in a new window instead.

@mk7z,
Doesn’t get a whole lot simpler than this

@mattches You have to resize or move the current window and you also have to open the destination window.

The method I suggested lets you move items without having to do either: no need to open other windows or resize (or move) the current window.

For a single operation the difference may not be that significant. But would you want to keep repeating opening and closing other windows if you had a series of tabs you wanted moved to different windows?

In my case relocating tabs to other windows is something I do often, in part because various extensions or features inherent to apps end up opening tabs in a different window than where I want them.

The method I recommended also lets you open a lot of unrelated tabs in the current window and then, without breaking much of your workflow, send them to the windows where you actually want them to be – again, without having to open any of them.

These seem like worthwhile advantages to me.

@mattches . . . Another way to look at it:

When you want to move a file to another location than its current one (i.e., to a different folder/directory), you can do it through a file selector dialog box or you can drag-&-drop the filename.

The first option allows you to do it quickly, without opening a second window. The second option doesn’t. (The first option also avoids any need to find the destination window in order to open it – which can itself be a problem if you have many windows open – and which you have to do for drag-&-drop.)

My recommendation was that browser tabs (specifically, Brave’s) have the same options for being moved between windows.

@mattches Also, as another example:

If I have a Google Docs document open that I want to copy to a tab in another already-open window (rather than duplicating it in the current window), a copy-&-move is more straightforward when done via a file selector dialog than having to open the other window (especially when you don’t plan to do anything with the copy right away).

Google Docs (primarily a web app) gives one the option to put the copy in a specific Google Drive location (folder), but not to put it in another browser window than the current one – which has always seemed odd to me.

Brave can cure that limitation!! (though not for GDocs tabs, because GDrive controls the operation)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.