Most extensions disappeared from extension bar and settings menu, but still installed

Description of issue
I had most of my often-used extensions pinned to the toolbar to the right of the search box and to the left of the settings menu. Since updating to the latest version, 1.1.22, most of my extensions in that location vanished and the other icons now show a gray circle around them (image below for context).

This is a problem because I often use LastPass’s menu from here, for example. I also checked the settings menu to the right where they would hide otherwise, and it isn’t there either. Example that LastPass is indeed installed and enabled:
Proof that it isn’t hiding in settings:
What’s unusual is that some of the extensions remain without any visible issues, but roughly half of them vanished. I can still access settings within the extensions menu, but I’ve lost a lot of functionality with this change.
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Update to 1.1.22.
  2. Open browser.

Expected result:
Extensions that functioned in previous versions should remain in the same spot as they were and retain functionality.
Brave Version( check About Brave):
Additional Information:
In case it’s relevant, it seems like a few of the extensions that work were added manually by me a few months ago with developer mode on.

@letsgoiowa,
That’s a very strange issue you’re seeing. I assume you’ve disabled/enabled the extensions to see if re-enabling them causes them to appear in the toolbar?

The last time a similar issue occurred, its because of a chromium flag who’s default value changed upstream and we ended up inheriting it without knowing it. Try the following:

1. Go to brave://flags
  2. Search for a flag labeled #extensions-toolbar-menu
  3. Change the value to Disabled
  4. Relaunch the browser when prompted

Let me know the results.

1 Like

Thanks for your extremely fast reply! Yep, it seems like you had the right idea. That worked and now everything is back!

1 Like

@letsgoiowa,
Great news! Glad that worked. Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have further questions or concerns :slight_smile: