|OS Release|10.0.17763|
|Update Channel|Release|
|OS Architecture|x64|
|OS Platform|Microsoft Windows|
|Node.js|7.9.0|
|Brave Sync|v1.4.2|
|libchromiumcontent|69.0.3497.100|

A couple things for you all to try:

1. Visit this site: https://transparencyreport.google.com/safe-browsing/search and perform a search using the site(s) where you encountered this message. The site is used to see if Safe browsing feature is blocking the site you’re trying to browse. Let me know the results. Note that this should work for all platforms.
  2. Try turning Safe browsing off in Brave (Menu --> Settings --> Advanced --> Privacy and Security --> Safe Browsing) temporarily to see if you’re allowed access to the site.

Current theory is that these sites have a script that’s triggering this detection – even though it may not be “malware” per-se (more likely it’s related to some form of ad tracking).

1 Like

https://www.hln.be/nieuws/buitenland/chauffeur-kaapt-schoolbus-vol-kinderen-en-steekt-voertuig-in-brand-passagiers-kunnen-net-op-tijd-ontsnappen~a9c8c58e/ (which is blocked by Brave),
in https://transparencyreport.google.com: no unsafe content found.

With safe browsing turned off I can access the site and all content.

Can everyone here please tell me what their Brave version is as well?

This is something that may only be effecting Muon (0.26x or earlier) builds rather than Brave core which now runs on Chromium, currently at v0.61.51 (release channel)?

Just to be clear – I am not using the Chrome version. I cannot use the Chrome version because it does not allow me to display the Menu bar at the top, which is absolutely necessary to us for business purposes and being able to open saved/archived .html files in the Brave browser. I have not found any way in the Chrome version to turn on the Menu bar at the top, and there is no function in the options menu for opening archived files in the browser. I have posted about that issue before, but I not had any response or seen any movement on it.

So the website blocking issue is occurring for me in Muon 8.1.8.

Regarding Muon, I do have the Chrome upgrade installed but cannot use it because it does not allow me to turn on the Menu bar at the top or give any option for opening archived .html files in the browser – which is a function that is critical to us for business. I have posted about that issue previously. So I have both versions but must continue to use Muon 8.1.8 for that reason.

Note the difference in the character of the dialog of your post versus even the worst of all previous posts on this issue. Its rhetoric would tend to give most anyone with suspicions more of a confirmation about intentional blocking than a denial.

For the record, none of the accusations you’ve posted apply.

And I did run a full scan to see if some virus might be generating this issue before initiating the thread.

Thank you for your help with this.

Update edit: Thanks to a tip from @Mattches, I realized I had used a Muon release accidentally, had it and current release open, and must have checked version in a window of the current release.<facepalm> Corrected version reported below. None of my current releases (main, Beta, Dev in Mac, main in Windows today) have shown this behavior in experiments today. (end update edit)

I just got blocked trying to work with accuweather.com. Here’s the script that was linked to the warning:
about:safebrowsing#https://imasdk.googleapis.com/js/sdkloader/ima3.js
trying to go to
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/victor-ny/14564/weather-forecast/2146299
from
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/victor-ny/14564/weekend-weather/2146299

And THAT’s weird. I doubt the blacklists have it in for a weather site, but one never knows.

Here’s screenshot of window (Brave Windows 10 same as earlier post (Brave 0.25.304 Muon 8.1.8 [[errondously originally posted as 0.61.51 Chromium: 73.0.3683.75 (Official Build) (64-bit)]] for Windows 10 Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763)

1 Like

@hnktong, great sleuthing as usual – appreciate the help!
So I think the team’s theory is right on the money. Would still like to know who is using what version.

Double-bumping:
@kharum, @fofa, @ebw, @noneyabusiness,
Are you using the Chromium build of Brave, version 0.61.51?
Or are you using the Muon build of Brave, version 0.26.x (or lower)?

Thank you for these helpful suggestions.

I did try #1 and both links I had previously sent came back as “no unsafe content.”

I also discovered today that www.wnd.com – World Net Daily – website is completely being blocked, not just individual article links. Also “no unsafe content” per Google Transparency.

However, as mentioned in a previous post, I have both the newer Chrome version and the previous Muon version installed. I have to use the Muon version for business reasons previously stated (no ability to turn on the Menu bar or open archived .html files in the Chrome version).

But after your previous post, I did decide to try all links in the 0.61.51 Chromium version, and all worked just fine.

So you are apparently correct in that this may be an issue affecting Muon version only.

Suggestion #2 below applies to Chrome. I could not find a way to turn off Safe Browsing in Muon to see if that

1 Like

And I appreciate you deleting your extremely offensive post.
Please learn respect for customers in the future.
Thank you.

Evereyone:
The reason you’re all seeing this is likely due to the fact that the list Muon uses for Malware Detection is blocking scripts on those pages that may or may not actually contain malware. It’s hard to say, given that we haven’t updated those lists in a while – months at least.

This is because, and I cannot stress this enough – we are no longer supporting Muon officially. Brave Core (that is, the version that leverages the chromium UI) is the officially supported release and has the most up to date security patches, fixes and filter lists for the browser.

You are welcome to continue browsing using Muon, but would highly recommended upgrading.

@pulleco, I know you mentioned that you use it for work because of the Menu bar up top not appearing. While I cannot guarantee the likelihood that will ever be changed, I will open an issue/feature request on GitHub for this (there is one already but I’ll make it nicer and more official) and see what kind of attention it attracts.

Thank you all for your patience.

2 Likes

I’m going to go [redacted] farther than any Brave official rep will go [now with redactions, probably not farther] and just say that assuming Brave is blocking based on political leaning is [redacted]paranoid bullhockey[redacted][italics indicates insertion]. Don’t characterize it with politics - it’s a website that’s being blocked, and the lists and code don’t [redacted] care which way you lean. I saw the same thing stated with regard to advocate.com today (Brave Blocking Articles in a Website) and don’t get why anyone, left or right, would assume their browser is blocking based on politics when it could just be a simple error. Granted, it could be someone manipulating the lists, but that’s still not on Brave. [redacted] Report facts. Keep politics out of it.

2 Likes