Mighty Text Extension Not Working

**Description of the issue: I have added the Mighty Text extension to my Braave Browser. The problem is that when I try to log into Mighty Text I see redirect information that tries to access the login page but it never loads. It just goes back to the Mighty Text initiation window and then tries to perform the redirect again.

**Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):

  1. Add Mighty Text Extension to Brave browser.
  2. Click on the extension and the login process begins.
  3. The following information is briefly shown:
    Redirecting you to https://textyserver.appspot.com/signin?completed_web=true&continue_web=+https%3A%2F%2Fmightytext.net%2Fweb8%2F
  4. The screen switches back to the initial window and the process repeats.

**Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!): There is only the initial login start window followed by the page with the redirect listed above.

**Expected result: The Mighty Text login page should be displayed.

**Reproduces how often: The problem is constant.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 (Build 18363.388)
Brave Version Version 0.69.132 Chromium: 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
I have added mightytext.net to Allow Cookies and Site Data in Settings
Also added mightytext.net and https://textyserver.appspot.com/signin?completed_web=true&continue_web=+https%3A%2F%2Fmightytext.net%2Fweb8%2F to Pop-ups and Redirects in Settings.

Problem remains.

Thank you for reaching out. I was able to sign in by adding exceptions for MightyText in Brave’s content settings. To resolve the redirect issue, go to Settings --> Additional --> Privacy/Security --> Site Settings --> Cookies, then add the following to the Allow list:

  • https://[*.]mightytext.net/
  • https://[*.]mighty-app.appspot.com
  • https://[*.]textyserver.appspot.com

After this, I was able to login to the extension and proceed with the installation process.


Thanks for the direction on this. Adding the three entries to the Cookies exception fixed the issue.


My pleasure!
Glad to hear it worked out.