Memory usage spiking/slow response with certain tabs in background

Description of the issue:
When a tab with a particular website is in the background, brave begins to rapidly allocate/deallocate memory in ‘spikes’ and becomes very slow to respond, until that tab is brought back to the foreground again. (So far I have only seen this happen with pages on ‘threadreaderapp.com’. It did not happen with the previous version of Brave, until the most recent update.)

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):
1. Install brave or delete/rename …\AppData\Roaming\Brave folder
(not strictly necessary, but ensures it’s not some lingering issue from profile settings)
2. Close welcome screen, navigate first tab to “https://threadreaderapp.com
3. Open a new empty tab
4. Focus first (thread reader) tab again
5. Return focus to empty tab
Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Brave begins to spike memory usage and becomes slow to respond

I captured a GIF of this, but it was too large – I’ll try to record a smaller one and post it below.

Expected result:
Brave does nothing unusual

Reproduces how often:
Every time

Brave Version(about:brave):
current: 0.24.0 – issue exists
previous: 0.23.107 – issue does not exist

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):
Yes

Additional Information:
I’ve only been able to trigger this with threadreaderapp.com in the background tab (and also happens with some subpages of this domain but not all). It still happens when the shields setting is set to “block scripts”, so doesn’t seem to be JS-related.

GIF capture of invoking this bug:

It occurs to me that I should clarify that my OS is Windows 7, 64bit. Let me know if any further information is needed.

The issue is still present in 0.25.2.

I’ve just tried the brave-core beta release (0.55.11) and the issue does not exist there, so I’m basically happy to stick with 0.23.107 until the main branch upgrades…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.