Mathematics typesetting

I subscribe to several proprietary math sites.

On at least one of those sites, some mathematical symbols do not appear on the Brave browser, but do appear when I load the same web page in Firefox.

So the question is: does Brave support KaTeX or LaTeX coding. These are fairly common, and useful mathematics typesetting codes.

1 Like

Probably come down to whether Chrome supports it.

Have you checked out any Chrome extensions?

I have not. I just discovered the problem. Any suggestions?

Fat-fingered on my iPad.
Spelling and syntax occasionally, and creatively, added by Apple auto-text.

Robert S. Carnes

@robscott,
Can you tell me what site(s) you’re seeing this error so that I can test it on my end? Additionally, are you using the mobile browser or desktop browser when this behavior occurs?

The issue is with a website that caters to math and broadly STEM topics, Brilliant. www.brilliant.com. The “drop-outs” are quite variable. It not like it’s a total failure of math type-setting. I’ve provided a comprative set of pdfs of one page, involving complex numbers.

In math typology, “Z” is a complex number and it’s conjugate is denoted with a bar above the Z. See Firefox version and compare to Brave version. Focus on the first sentence. In the Brave version the bar above the Z denoted the conjugate of Z is missing on Brave, but not on Firefox.

@robscott,
I’ve created an account but would you be able to tell me exactly which course/lesson it is that you see this behavior in? I want to get as close to your exact circumstances as possible.

Also, just to note, it’s brilliant.org rather than .com – I was very confused there for a moment :slight_smile:

You are correct. It’s brilliant.org, although I seem to have found it somehow using “.com” as well.

Regardless, I’m copying a message to which I responded to either another member of the Brave community, or perhaps, I’m just not being clear in my description of the problem.

As I point out below, this is not a problem will all math type-set viewed on Brave. It appears very specific, perhaps ASCII-specific.

The title of the course is “Complex Numbers.”

I’ve provided a comparative set of pdfs of one page, involving complex numbers.

In math typology, “Z” is a complex number and it’s conjugate is denoted with a bar above the Z. See Firefox version and compare to Brave version. Focus on the first sentence. In the Brave version the bar above the Z denoted the conjugate of Z is missing on Brave, but not on Firefox.

Here’s a link the that webpage: https://brilliant.org/practice/the-triangle-inequality-2/?p=8

Finally, as second example, more glaring, the Brave version fails to show the division or rational number symbol between the numerator and denominator at https://brilliant.org/practice/arithmetic-shortcuts/?p=6

See respective screen shots of that also attached.

That is rather strange – I seem to get the right characters in Brave:

I doubt this is this case but just to check, can you see if disabling Hardware Acceleration in Settings makes any difference?

Settings --> Additional Settings --> System --> Hardware Acceleration

Good thought.

I tried it.

Per attached, I de-selected “Hardware acceleration” from the Brave browser settings. I re-launched the Brave Browser.

I went to the same quiz question where the missing complex conjugate symbol was noticed before. It’s still missing.

I agree that this is more subtle than just a problem with Brave’s handling of LaTex type-set.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.