Marriott Website Blocking?

Unable to access marriott.com it just loads the screen then stays grey.

Also get a windows firewall warning popup when trying to load the site.

Any ideas…

Hi @oddstocktrader

I can reproduce this on macOS (no windows firewall message though :wink: ) and changing my Ad Control setting to Allow seems to get the page to load.

@Mattches do you see the same on Windows? I’m using 0.23.79.

Thanks,
Lauren

Sorry for jumping in, I think I have some info:
First off: Grey screen with Shield up - confirmed on Windows-7. Right after having updated:

Brave: 0.23.79
V8: 6.8.275.24
rev: 51b49051a779f0db94fbcfd0df5faca781299ea0
Muon: 8.0.7
OS Release: 6.1.7601
Update Channel: Release
OS Architecture: x64
OS Platform: Microsoft Windows
Node.js: 7.9.0
Brave Sync: v1.4.2
libchromiumcontent: 68.0.3440.84

But the page loads and looks OK when I switch on “Block Scripts”! :smiley:
Alas, I have no idea whether it is in a useful state then.

@LaurenWags I do see the exaxat same behavior and the fix is the same for me too.

With Ad Control = Block Ads:

With Ad Control = Allow Ads and Tracking:

i just cashed all my marriott and SPG points in for two travel packages

ONE Category 8 7-night package + 120k AS miles

ONE Category 9 7-night package + 120k AS miles

I’ve attached the certificates to stays in June/July next year with the intention of hopefully being able to shift around dates (and even locations) once our travel plans firm up. Of course, the new value of each of those 7 night bookings would need to be able to support that.

UC Browser SHAREit MX Player

Fingers crossed things turn out well.

Is there a fix for this or is Marriott just singling out Brave somehow?? I shouldn’t have to allow ads and Tracking to view site.

Well, of course everyone wants you to see the commercials and track you. It’s a war/race between blockers and the anti-blockers. If the guys on the anti-blocker side are good enough to notice that you are blocking ads and trackers, but not so nice that you just get a message telling you to switch off the blockers, they don’t allow access to the site.
This seems to be done with a script on the Marriot site, that’s why blocking scripts made the page show up for me. But blocking scripts will most likely disable some functionality you want. So to have the functionality you want, you must not block the scripts that are needed for said functionality. But to access the site at all while blocking ads & trackers, you would need to block a (different) script, idk which one exactly.

So making this work the way you want would require:

• finely adjustable script blocking i.o.w. the ability to block some scripts from a specific site but not all of them, something that Brave 0.x does not have, and
  • you’d still need to find the script that denies access to the site, doing this automatically would require setting up a special case to handle one site (maybe several sites, but still a small number).

Thus - tl;dr: No.

(I’m not a Brave employee or even a developer, but from what I understand about the issue and considering that blocking scripts made the page somewhat accessible, I feel safe in saying that the answer is “No”.)

@oddstocktrader, sorry for the late response. Have you updated to 0.23.105? If so, does the problem still persist? I’m no long able to reproduce the error on my end. Here’s a gif to confirm as well as the Shields settings used:

I’ve reached out to the relevant team members for more information.Until then, can you try with these settings (enabling Block Scripts was also successful) and see if you’re still blocked?

Wierd yea.

I had to block scripts actually to get it to load, without them however It will not load.

So after some more digging, it looks like the site has a script(s) running in the background that may be blocking access to browsers using an ad-block service. I can confirm, however, thanks to Brave’s Shields, enabling Block Scripts for the website resumes normally functionality. Can you try again with the Block Scripts option enabled? Your panel should look like this:

Yes, That does resolve the site as normal.

Excellent, glad to hear it! I’m going to go ahead and close this topic now. If the problem persists or you have any further questions or issues, feel free to create a new topic.

Thank you for reaching out and for supporting Brave!

Marriott - Sign In