Make DuckDuckGo the default search engine

The main reason I switched to Brave was to get away from intrusive practices of mainstream online corporations. I ignored the fact that I could be treated as a product, but now they crossed the line when they decided to censor information they deem “unacceptable” while leaving me in information vacuum. The aim to carve a “perfect citizen” the communism way by spoon feeding “acceptable thought patterns and ideas” is insulting to say the least. So every loss they take is a win for us (people).

I didn’t pay attention which search engine was the default one when I installed brave, so forgive me if DDG is the default one by default, if not, would you consider the switch? If not, why not?

10 Likes

Im just a user myself, I don’t speak on behalf of anyone but myself. It’s very easy to make Duckduckgo your default search engine. On mobile you get many options to choose from: Duckduckgo, Startpage, Qwant, etc. You don’t get this kind of search engine variety with mobile Chrome or Safari. Plus with Brave (on any mobile or desktop platform) you can block Google ads and analytics.

3 Likes

Hi @dato0011,

The default search engine is still Google. But you can change it via Preferences > Search.

An issue logged for this request, however.

And likely, at least, Brave will give an option to set default search engine at welcome tour for first time install.

3 Likes

Why not change to DDG all together by default and let user change to other search engine if they wish so. Since it’s privacy oriented product, why are you marketing Google?

2 Likes

Speaking of which, I do agree with @dato0011. Keeping Google the default search engine makes a mark on the fact that brave advertises itself as a privacy oriented browser. I mean …it only takes a couple of code lines to be changed for setting a different search engine by default; so why not make it?

3 Likes

Thanks Bob. That’s my point. It can be any privacy oriented search engine, I’m not affiliated to DDG in any way. Also not only should default search engine be changed, if user tries to switch to Google/Bing, Brave should notify him/her about the consequences.

1 Like

I’m not one of the team so I can’t tell much about it. But again, an issue logged to change the default search engine. Maybe just not yet. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Well it’s kinda shocking that even though the issue/suggestion/feedback is logged in, developers haven’t drew an eye on it. It seriously takes a couple of lines of code to be manipulated. SERIOUSLY

And I’m pretty sure 80% + of brave users would agree not to have google/bing/yahoo/yandex as the default search engine due their highly concerning data collection & sharing policies.

1 Like

When did it happen that Google became the default search engine? When I started with Brave, I had Duck Duck Go as default? As for the browser’s “promotion” of Google, this can be likely due to the fact that many people are used to it. (The ones who are less concerned about their privacy or just find it most convenient.)

And I’m pretty sure 80% + of brave users would agree not to have google/bing/yahoo/yandex as the default search engine due their highly concerning data collection & sharing policies.

I find this statement potentially true but possibly problematic. We already have browsers for extreme privacy which I’m sure all present have used. Brave is important because it’s accessible by meeting the average use case where it’s at with little compromise. This is the only way that Brave can change the internet; not getting in their own way of mass adoption.

As for the browser’s “promotion” of Google, this can be likely due to the fact that many people are used to it. (The ones who are less concerned about their privacy or just find it most convenient.)

I find this to be a plausible and justifiable reason. I am a daily DDG user and I’m here to say that it’s imperfect. Yes, in order to help alternative services like DDG happen, we need to embrace it with its flaws and give it time and space to develop. But it’s not worth getting in the way of me suggesting Brave to my grandmother, just as I did to get her away from IE and on to Chrome a long time ago.

Solution? I think a setup step at the beginning should let people choose and also give a brief description of the benefits for those white don’t know. I also think structuring the search omnibar like Firefox would be helpful, where you can set DDG as default but can click on Google, Wikipedia, etc. at any time.

2 Likes

I prefer google, and I suspect Brave has the data to show that most users do as well (otherwise it wouldn’t be default). But the suggestion to make a choice upon installation is a good one

I can’t believe this issue has still not been addressed. It really sends a message when the product advertises that privacy is a top concern, and doesn’t understand why there is an issue with having Google as the default search engine.
I was planning on trying this browser again, but until this really simple issue has been addressed I will hold off.

1 Like

Hiyah all. I’m Ross from the product team. Just wanted to pop in and say how helpful it is reading the feedback going on here.

A few things, I wanted to point out:

1. @eljuno is correct, we will be giving users the ability to specify their default search engine during onboarding in Brave Core.
  2. We default to DDG in private windows with and without Tor right now when privacy oriented searching is inferred as the user’s priority.
2 Likes

I already have for the same reasons you stated. It is easy to do in your preferences. I got off the other browsers and really like brave. “Be Brave” I guess.

1 Like

Hey Ross, thanks for the update. Please don’t forget to notify user about the risks when choosing Google/Bing

3 Likes