Macrumors.com: whitespace is left

Description of the issue:

White space is left where the ad was.

Exact URL of the website in question:

Screenshot of the ad as it appears in Brave

(There is whitespace between the content at the top and the “Guides” section - on the right-hand side.)

Did the issue present with default Shields settings? (yes/no)

Yes

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off?

Yes

Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (yes/no):

No

Does the site work as expected when using Chrome?

Yes

Brave version (check About Brave):

Version 1.19.88 Chromium: 88.0.4324.96 (Official Build) (arm64)

Fixed. Give it 24-48hrs.

1 Like

Hi @fanboynz,

Similar issue on their forums, https://forums.macrumors.com:

1 Like

cc @fanboynz plz and thank you :slight_smile:

Give it 24-48hrs. Enable aggressive mode also.

1 Like

@fanboynz It has not applied on my side, is there a reason I need to use the aggressive mode for this?

Looking good here, just opened https://forums.macrumors.com/ and I don’t see the blank space. Aggressive mode will apply more cosmetics.

But I didn’t need to apply it to hide the space on the main site, so why does it need to be enabled to hide the space on the forums?

It applys to the entire site, www and forums

No blank spaces (caused by ads) Only blank spaces will be seen when disabling shields now

With Standard mode on, I don’t see any spaces on the main macrumors site:

But I still see spaces on the forums:

I’m just trying to understand the discrepancy?

I also have the same problem but on iOS and not only on macrumors but also on 9to5mac

In Ios, we have no cosmetic hiding. So blank spaces will remain

Sadly the spaces are still visible on my side @fanboynz

1 Like

@fanboynz is there any update? I am still seeing the whitespace on the forums, the main site is looking okay.

Re-tested in Brave release and Beta, Ad/Trackers = Aggressive. No white space on forums here.

@fanboynz Why do I need to use aggressive to hide the whitespace on the forums but not on the main site? Are you able to explain this as it seems like a bug to me?

It was a different filter, a site specific/1st party filter, which is why we have Aggressive mode to get around this.

So you can’t just add the same filter you added for the main site, for the forums and then we don’t need to use aggressive mode?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.