MacOS search bar showing habrahabr.ru

Description of the issue:
I just noticed that when I type text into the url bar for search it shows habrahabr(.)ru when matching some of those letters. (both google search and duckgogo) As if it is somehow bookmarked. But I can’t find the bookmark for this url. After Googling the url I see this is adware/malware. How do I completely remove Brave preference files? Are there any other places I need to be aware of? I did a malewarebytes scan and all come back clean. I only see how to remove on a Windows machine from some virus removal websites.

How can this issue be reproduced?
1.Ive deleted my Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware and did a fresh installation of Brave Browser. No plugins/extensions, no bookmarks and it is still showing up. I have a screenshot of this fresh installation.

Expected result:
Find out where this is coming from and remove/clean it.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.4.96 Chromium: 80.0.3987.132 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
Doesn’t show on any other browser. I test chrome, firefox and safari. (I have all browsers installed for various reasons but brave is my primary browser)
Mac Version 10.13.6 High Sierra

1 Like

Yikes! It does that even with autocomplete turned off

in Brave 1.7.40 Chromium: 80.0.3987.132 (Official Build) nightly (64-bit) on macOS Version 10.15.3 (Build 19D76).

@Mattches, could it be popping in off the built-in blacklist?

So this is a Brave bug then? Nothing to do with my computer?

1 Like

Looks like it might be, yes. It happens in Windows, too.

Looking into this right now – thanks everyone for reporting.

I think this is a Alexa top 500 autocomplete site:

1 Like

OK, but it’s still an undesirable site to have pop up, and my guess is that if one is on the list, there may be more. Maybe that list needs to be screened not just for timeliness but for included malware sites?

@hnktong,
I went to the site and can assure you that it’s not malware – its a tech blog.

D’oh! Sorry. I’ll try it next time.

1 Like

@hnktong,
No worries – I was hesitant to go there myself :joy:
Also, note that we do this in such a way that the browser does not need to make a network request anywhere to find those top sites. :slight_smile:

Well there are quite a few websites stating this site is or was malware at some point. If you Google “habrahabr(.)ru malware” you will see reference to this. These are the websites I found since I thought it was malware. Showing in my auto suggest when I had no reference to it at all felt like browser hijacking.

BTW I am putting (.) as to not link to the site in case it is malicious in some way.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.