MackBook Pro running Brave habitually logs off automatically

Description of the issue: I like to leave my MacBook running, with Brave tabs running as well. After an unspecified amount of time, the laptop begins to log off, unless I have something like a YouTube video playing AND maybe a Word document open. The laptop sometimes will still attempt to log off, but will show popups like “would you like to save the Word document”. Otherwise, it will log off. Usually it will log itself off after an extended period of time, regardless of what is running. Is this Brave or is it my MacBook that causes the logging off? How do I prevent this? When it logs off, I must then log back in to every Brave tab that was left open (e.g. social media sites, etc.) prior to the auto logoff event.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:

Reproduces how often:

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu): Latest MacBook software Sonoma 14.2.1, and Brave Version 1.62.156 Chromium: 121.0.6167.139 (Official Build) (arm64)
Additional Information:

Apparently, nobody has tackled this issue. The related topics are 3+ years old with no solutions offered. Is there not a tech support rep at Brave to pick up the slack here?

This is your MacBook.

I’m assuming it’s just going to sleep after a certain amount of time due to inactivity. You could disable this on your device by changing Energy Saver in your System Preferences. Official Apple guides on how to do this is at https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-sleep-and-wake-settings-mchle41a6ccd/mac

This shouldn’t be the case. For that to happen, it sounds like you have something set to clear cookies. I’m not sure what your Shields settings are like nor what you have set for On Exit portion of brave://settings/clearBrowserData.

Sure they have. I may sound a bit like an ass in saying this, but what you’re explaining is common sense for the average person. Laptops and other devices have long had an auto sleep function or a timer you can set to lock your device for security purposes after a period of inactivity. Even gaming systems like my PS5 come with settings by default to turn off after a certain amount of time without any user input.

Plenty of things get missed or ignored. I’m assuming if you found anything “related” from years ago, you’ll see they went more than 30 days without anyone responding and then had been closed. It doesn’t mean no solution was figured out, it just meant the person with the issue never returned to keep their issue alive and attention from people like me who help or those employed by Brave went to more active topics.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.