Lost all passwords and settings after auto update

Description of the issue:
All passwords and settings wiped out after update

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Set automatic updates
  2. Launch browser
  3. All passwords and user settings are wiped out like a fresh install

Expected result:
Retain settings and saved passwords if Brave is going to force auto updates. Why not a backup function before auto update so there is a chance for recovery of data?

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.33.106 Chromium: 96.0.4664.110 (Official Build) (64-bit)
](https://brave.com/latest/)
Additional Information:

@Utidiysyisitdixoxohd,
Can you confirm that you’re not on a separate/different profile from your main profile somehow? Additionally, are you using any extensions at this time?

1 Like

I am using ublock extension, that is all. It did seem to take a couple of minutes to start up when I launched it that morning. It was updating obviously but something bad happened. When it finished it was a fresh install with all settings, passwords, etc wiped out.

My thought is If you are going to force background updates on users by removing the auto update options, then at least provide a notification to back up our data prior to install, or execute a backup automatically since these failures are possible. There are alot of posts here about lost data after updates, so it happens.

@Utidiysyisitdixoxohd,
If you go to your user data folder (~/AppData/Local/BraveSoftware/Brave-browser/User data/Default), do you see a Bookmarks file here?

I see data there but I’ve been rebuilding everything for the past month since it happened.

One thing I did notice the other day is that there are two duplicate entries for Brave in Program and Features list in Windows. One is listed a 91.1.26.74 last update 7/2021 and one is 98.1.35.100 updated today. They are both called “Brave”. I don’t know how two duplicate installations occurred, Windows thinks they are two different programs in the list.

I also don’t know why that is the case — super strange. But if you go to ~/AppData/Local/BraveSoftware/Brave-browser you only see one Brave-browser folder? What happens when you try and open the older version?

Hi @Mattches Same Thing Happened With me, Please Help me to solve this issue.
Here is my comment thread.

Yes there is one instance of the Brave browser folder, but two instances of Brave installed. It must have done this during an auto update, because I didn’t isntall twice. I am not going to try to resolve it because I think an uninstall would wipe out data for both. Might explain the data loss with updates, I would test it but updates are forced now so I have no control over the data loss that comes with the updates

Same here; lost all my passwords and extensions. Something has gone terribly wrong.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.