Location Services are wrong

I did a quick search on the Community, and found some reports of the same issue as far back as December 2019, on both MacOS and Windows. Also, as @Dornul pointed out, no updates on the mentioned issue since May, and no actual activity is shown on the issue. P3 is, I guess, a nice-to-have-if-we-find-the-time, so I don’t really high hopes on this one. :frowning:

Update on the positioning issue: now three of the four providers listed at https://www.iplocation.net/ip-lookup agree on my position (incorrectly but still), and my position is shown on Google Maps being the only other one. I’m now at correct city, thanks to some external providers updating their tables, but still roughly 7-10 kilometres away from my actual position. This still doesn’t remove the root problem of positioning in Brave being broken.

Whilst the providers listed at the link above still don’t agree where I am (all 4 are different), at least using location on google maps is getting closer. It’s in the right part of the country now!

But it’s only ~70 miles out, rather than hundreds… so it’s all in the right direction!

Just updated to 1.11.97 on Linux and I’m still having the same issue.

maps.google.com initially loads the correct area but clicking on the “Show Your Location” button jumps to an address about 10 miles away.

Firefox and chrome do not exhibit this same behavior.

Same here
using [Version 1.11.97 Chromium: 84.0.4147.89 (Official Build) (64-bit)]

If I open maps.google.com, it redirects me to http://www.google.co.uk/maps and puts me in the correct area.
If I click Location is zooms in even closer to my correct area, but states it’s last location from phone (as I have Brave on my phone linked).
If I then click update, it takes me over to Gravesend in Kent.

Same issue here. Tested on HP and Dell notebook. Both show the same faulty location in Brave. Works fine in Chrome and Mozilla.
Brave shows me in another town which is ~7 km from my actual location.

FYI:
[Version 1.11.97 Chromium: 84.0.4147.89 (Official Build) (64-bit)]

Tested [Version 1.12.98 Chromium: 84.0.4147.89 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)]

Unfortunate: Same issue in Beta version of Brave

Tested [Version 1.11.104 Chromium: 84.0.4147.105 (Official Build) (64-bit)]
Same issue.
Go to google.com/maps and it shows approximate area.
Click location and it shows correct area (from phone).
Click update and it takes me to incorrect area (Medway, Kent)

Have got the same problem with location in Google Maps. Works fine in other browsers but not in Brave which is a shame as Brave is my default browser, but have to switch to Chrome, Firefox or Edge if I want to use any mapping Apps.

I’ve got the same issue across both Windows and Linux while using Brave.

Location services are never accurate for my actual location.

Just updated to 1.13.82 on Linux and I’m still having the same issue.

maps.google.com initially loads the correct area but clicking on the “Show Your Location” button jumps to an address about 10 miles away.

Shields are down. Firefox and chrome do not exhibit this same behavior.

Updated to version 1.13.82, and now Google Maps fails to get my location. Windows location is on, and a default location is set since my computer doesn’t have a GNSS device. On Brave, location permission is on, and shields status (on or off) doesn’t seem to matter. Same occurs also on 1.14.76.

This started after https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/10722 was resolved, so if there are ANY ideas how to make it work, I’d love to hear from you. [Edit: turning Windows location OFF reverts to pre-update behaviour, so looks like Brave doesn’t really know how to use Windows location services despite the ticket being closed.]

Updated to 1.13.86 on Linux and still having the same issue.

maps.google.com initially loads the correct area but clicking on the “Show Your Location” button jumps to an address about 10 miles away (west of my actual location).

Updated to 1.14.81 on Linux and still having the same issue.

maps.google.com initially loads the correct area but clicking on the “Show Your Location” button jumps to an address about 10 miles away (west of my actual location).

Same here. Brave V1.14.84 on Win10 puts me in the middle of a pond ~8 km from here. Other browsers don’t have this issue, but I prefer to use Brave…