Links form arstechnica.com blocked because unsafe

Clicking on arstechnica articles leads to a page warning about malware

From arstechnica.com, clicking a link such as the article about the new Bill and Ted movie https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/03/excellent-were-finally-getting-another-bill-and-ted-adventure-this-summer/

you instead receive the message: For your safety, Brave has blocked this site because it is distributing malware or stealing login credentials.

Is this just me?

V8 6.9.427.23
Update Channel Release
rev 3ecf323
OS Release 16.7.0
OS Platform macOS
OS Architecture x64
Node.js 7.9.0
Muon 8.1.8
libchromiumcontent 69.0.3497.100
Brave Sync v1.4.2
Brave 0.25.304

I still can’t browse the arstechnica website. If Brave doesn’t support Muon why does it still use it? Maybe i misunderstood.

You’re running an old Brave version that’s still based on Muon.
All you need to do is upgrade to the latest version and you will be able to browse the site without the warning:

1 Like

@violet_wray,
As @BraveNew said, we recently went through a shift in code base and the result is the above linked version of Brave, currently at v0.61.52.

I thought i was on the latests because when i click check for updates it says i’m on the latest.

That’s the last version of the Muon-based Brave, but the Chromium-based one has to be downloaded and installed separately from the auto-update in Muon. Once installed, Chromium-based Brave will auto-update again and check for the current version of the Chromium-based Brave.

Edit: By “last version of the Muon-based Brave,” I mean that it was the last version issued, but that was months ago. It’s not been updated since then because of the shift to Chromium underpinnings.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.