Leaving Brave - Issues with meet.google.com

Description of the issue:
Co workers consistently complain of my call quality when using meet.google.com inside Brave. As soon as I started using Chrome again, the call quality was great. No others settings or influences changed.

Exact URL of the website in question:

Did the issue present with default Shields settings? (yes/no)
Yes

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off?
Yes

Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (yes/no):
No

Does the site work as expected when using Chrome?
Yes

Brave version (check About Brave):
Version 0.68.132 Chromium: 76.0.3809.132 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I would love to stick around, I love everything else. I just am in 3-4 meetings of this per day and can’t see myself using Brave unless this is fixed. Thanks!

@ngurney,
The issue is the call quality specifically?
This is not the type of issue we normally associated with meet/hangouts when we see issues surrounding google meet or hangouts. Can you tell me if you visit meet.google.com and open your Shields panel, and set the Device recognition setting to Allow all... and see if that helps the quality of meets?

I have left the shields off on meet.google.com for a long time, but I can try turning them on and adjusting that setting. Will that help anymore than it would to just disable the shields entirely though?

@ngurney,
Not so much – thank you for the info. Can you give any more detail surrounding the quality of the call? Is it hard to hear, hard to see, both, etc? Do you have any extensions installed?

It sounds like the issue is mostly with hearing. I cut out more. For me, the meeting seems flawless. It all seems to happen on their end.

I have Wishlist, 1Password, DarkReader, and Tabliss installed as extensions in Brave, but Chrome did not. Could be that one of them is causing it.

@ngurney,
I would test with no extensions installed to see if that makes a difference. You may also want to try disabling Hardware Acceleration in Settings ( Settings --> Additional Settings --> System --> Hardware Acceleration) to see if that has any effect on the quality. I’d recommend trying these tests separately to avoid confusion.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.