Latest manifest v2 compatible version

Hi,

I’m already running the latest brave version that was compatible with windows 7 on windows 7 (based on chromium 107 or 108 or 109). So I know it’s OK not to upgrade brave each and every day. Not a simgle problem whatsoever.

I don’t particularly like the way google is doing things, like forcing manifest v3 since june or july, disabling the google translate extension.

So my question is: what is the latest brave (or chromium) version that supports manifest v2? It’s for my linux boxes. My intention is to downgrade brave and other chromium based browsers and freeze them until they cease to function.

My current brave version on Fedora is Version 1.67.123 Chromium: 126.0.6478.126 (Build officiel) (64 bits)

Please do not warn me about security issues, I do know very well what I’m doing, additionally I don’t care for one minute.

Best regards.

Brave will support mv2 for at least another year using the ‘ExtensionManifestV2Availability’ key by default.

2 Likes

Hey @kunta-kinte I just wanted to direct you to https://brave.com/blog/brave-shields-manifest-v3/ as you may want to give it a bit of a read. The biggest thing to realize is as below:

Will MV2 extensions still work in Brave?

Yes, for now. We recognize the importance of supporting existing Manifest V2 extensions. We have force-enabled Manifest V2 support in the Brave browser, ensuring that you can continue to use your favorite extensions without interruption. In June 2025, Google plans to remove all remaining Manifest V2 items from the Chrome Web Store. While Brave has no extension store, we have a robust process for customizing (or “patching”) atop the open-source Chromium engine. This will allow us to offer limited MV2 support even after it’s fully removed from the upstream Chromium codebase.

1 Like

Interesting indeed. Thanks for your reply. I dont however use any of AdGuard AdBlocker, NoScript, uBlock Origin or uMatrix. Happy to learn I dont need to freeze Brave. I was already aware of kExtensionManifestV2DeprecationWarning but also happy to learn about kExtensionsManifestV3Only.

I guess my best option is to start gather extensions I like to install as unpacked in developer mode, right? In order to prevent them to autoupdate like EditThisCookie 1.5.0 and Google Translate 2.0.13

Best!