Just installed 'Brave' after seeing the mandatory flash / Java install in Opera 52 -Linux Devuan - looks good 'no coin' extension?

no coin : https://github.com/keraf/NoCoin

not sure if anyone has recommended it ?

but it’ll be a big one for the future with more and more ‘website companies’ deciding to mine on ‘users’ devices rather than display adverts and with general ‘human’ ignorance of crypto that leaves a pretty big gap {read opportunity} for sites to install miners on devices.

your broswer is great i was happy to give the Chinese {Opera} my info for a free VPN but ‘flash’ was a step to far…i see you have it as an {option} that’s probably always the best method rather than forcing things on ‘users’

now i have to either run QubesOS for the Opera VPN or install an older version but out of principal i’ll try Brave as my main browser now.

good luck.

dark theme? {or just less glare} like pastel? maybe some flowers {jokes}

i suppose suggesting a free VPN is a step to far?? / something that only the Chinese Communist party would have the development tools / motivation for?

Hi @k.evans,

Brave already block coin mining for months now. It’s active with Ads and trackers blocker ON.
Also, dark theme is coming in the future.

Best,
:slight_smile:

hey thanks - is there a link to the blacklist - i.e is that blocker on git?

Is it what you looking for? :slight_smile: https://github.com/brave/adblock-lists/blob/master/coin-miners.txt

Also All About Ad Blocking in case you want to know more about the ad block.

Best,
:slight_smile:

Yes thank you i was just about to post a new topic but perhaps you can help - :

(just my opinion)

• as education increases i think the problem with a ‘shields up / shields down’ simplified solution could be come apparent, this type of ‘advert’ i always found a little ‘creepy’ as it pertained to ‘virus protectors’ etc.

here is the present problem:

• there is a script in the Brave Ad block that is preventing (presently) Youtube (and some other sites) from letting me access notifications but it’s only doing it intermittently.

• so to be clearer i open a page (say YouTube) if i turn off blocking i can get notification back (no promts) if i then turn it on again i can still get notifications (no promts) but then (probably when the script time refresh) the ad block will again prevent notifications from arriving - (very frustrating)

The likely solution

• i have seen other ad blockers list and allow a user to ‘approve’ or ‘block’ different ads and scripts in ‘real time’ as the site loads - maybe your {Brave} solution could be just to keep doing what you are doing but in the ‘advanced’ section allow users to review what was blocked for that domain, and then say for example {to make it obvious} in my case if i go to ‘advanced’ and see ‘notifications.real.time.youtube.probably.notavirus.wepromise.’ is being blocked then if i allow it and get notification then - life becomes the theoretical Utopian paradise that Earth was always meant to be.

your advantage

• advantage 1 - users will be less likely to constantly write the same message like ‘this page doesn’t work please help’ = less workload.

• advantage 2 - at a point of ‘not working’ users will stop using your platform, because they don;t know what to do. if the only option is ‘block ads but some of my pages don’t work’ OR ‘don’t block ads’

• advantage 3 - i haven’t thought of a 3rd advantage but you could look at it like the 4th dimension it’s out there but at this stage it’s theoretical.

disclaimer *

if by any chance everything i just talked about does indeed exist as options but i just didn’t find it due to obvious neglect then disregard.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.