Description of the issue:
Entering a sync code doesn’t join the sync chain properly, and I’m also unable to leave the chain. The only way I’ve managed to do so is by deleting the
~/.config/BraveSoftware folder. This problem only seems to occur on a specific laptop.
Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
- create a new sync chain
- enter the sync code on the buggy device
- enable anything to sync
- observe, how on the new device nothing syncs, the device list is empty, and the leave sync chain button does nothing. Also, the new device doesn’t show up in the list on the old computers already in the chain.
Reproduces how often:
Brave Version(See the
About Brave page in the main menu):
Version 1.38.115 Chromium: 101.0.4951.64 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Type of devices currently running on the Sync chain in question:
two windows PCs, one linux PC, and an android phone
I’ve also tried leaving the chain with one of the devices, creating a new one, and joining that, but I got the same results. The device I’m trying to add is running NixOS 22.05. It’s probably not a problem with the laptop itself, since it’s been running perfectly fine under some other operating systems.