I've viewed tons of ads during September, but only earned 2.8 BAT?

If you are unable to or have stopped seeing Brave Ads, please read through the following posts first to ensure that basic troubleshooting steps are checked:

After reading the above, if you’re still having trouble viewing ads, please answer the following:

Are you able to receive general desktop/push notifications?
You can test this by visiting https://www.bennish.net/web-notifications.html and forcing a push notification to appear.

Are you in a supported region (if so, which one)?
Check https://brave.com/transparency and confirm that you are in an applicable region

Give us a brief description of the ads behavior you’re seeing

What OS/Brave version are you using?
Please copy/paste the top 3 lines of your brave://version page
Version 1.8.96 Chromium: 81.0.4044.138 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Linux OS

I would like to know, “how many ads does a person have to view, in order to earn 2.8 BAT?” Because I’m fairly certain the number for the entire month of September exceeded one hundred ads.

Thanks

@peggy,
There are many reasons for the fluctuations in BAT value – however, the most important thing for you right now is to ensure that you update your browser to the latest build. You seem to be running version 1.8.96 which is…quite old. The latest version 1.14.84 at the time of writing this.

Please update the browser before taking any other steps.

I’m running a linux os, and now that you mention it, I haven’t had any linux Brave updates in several months. Probably at least three months. I will dig into that and see what I can do
in regards to an update. Meanwhile though, I feel as though I’m not getting rewarded for the amount of ads I’ve watched and clicked. This happened last month too. I have my reward history to compare with. I should be getting in the least, 20-30 BAT.

@peggy,
You may be right, but using such an old version of the browser is likely the culprit for this. Note you can manually update your browser by downloading the packages directly following instructions found here:

I just checked, and the problem seems to be on Braves end. This is the message I get:

GPG error: https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com stable InRelease: The following signatures were invalid: EXPKEYSIG A8580BDC82D3DC6C Brave Software <support@brave.com>Repository ‘http://ppa.launchpad.net/lutris-team/lutris/ubuntu bionic InRelease’ changed its ‘Label’ value from ‘lutris’ to ‘Lutris stable’

Aside from getting this update mess sorted out between Brave and Linux, could you please look at my stats and correct reward discrepancy? I’m confident that if you investigate this problem, you’ll find that last month and this month I received roughly only 10% of my earned BAT rewards.

Thanks.

It looks like there is an old expired key on your machine which we’ll need to remove before updates can work again. Can you paste here the output of sudo apt-key list?

1 Like

Sorry, but I’ve been going through a round of chemo and radiation, and I haven’t had the energy to worry about these buggy browser rewards.
The key output is:

/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/brave-browser-release.gpg

pub rsa4096 2018-10-15 [SC] [expires: 2022-01-17]
D8BA D4DE 7EE1 7AF5 2A83 4B2D 0BB7 5829 C2D4 E821
uid [ unknown] Brave Software support@brave.com

Question #1: If I delete the key ring, will I lose all of my browser setting, bookmarks, and BAT?

Question #2: I just installed the latest Linux 20 to one of my hard drives. For some reason, Brave is not part of the Linux referral program. Seems kind of important. Will that have a negative effect on my browser?

Question #3 I was only able to get Brave Nightly, so I installed it. Started getting ads right away. When I attempted to transfer my BAT to my nightly browser, only less than half of my BAT showed up. Why is that? Is it because Nightly is a work in progress?

Thanks

Sorry to hear about your difficult treatments @peggy. Thanks for confirming what I suspected about your currently-installed keyring.

I think the solution to your update problem is to do the following:

1. Delete the old keyring and the repository:

sudo rm /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/brave-browser-release.gpg
    sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list

2. Install the new keyring (make sure to copy the whole line, it’s a long one):

sudo curl -s https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/brave-core.asc | sudo apt-key --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/brave-browser-release.gpg add -

3. Re-add the repository (again, long time):

echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ stable main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list

4. Update the package:

sudo apt update
    sudo apt install brave-browser

No. Your settings, bookmarks and BAT are located under the ~/.config/BraveSoftware/ in your home directory. None of the above commands I included in my previous reply touch that directory.

The referral program does not currently count Linux installations due to technical limitations. As a user, that should not have any impact on your browser or experience. It only means that people who refer users to Brave don’t get credit for users who install Brave on Linux.

I’m not sure what you mean by that since we don’t support moving BAT tokens between browsers. What you can do however, and that we do support, is to connect both Brave Nightly and Brave release/stable to the same Uphold account. Once you do that, both browsers will reflect the balance of the relevant “card” within your Uphold account.

I would however recommend that you stick to Brave release if you want a stable browser. Nightly is primarily for testing purposes and is where all of our new work takes place. It can be unstable at times and many bugs are caught in Nightly, never affecting users of the stable release channel.

Thank you so much for taking the time. So, Nightly is not recommended for the tech-challenged. Me + Nightly = recipe for disaster! It truly is a smoking fast browser/prototype.

I’m going to soon be forced to migrate my BAT when I replace my regular hard drive. is it okay to use my BAT key to transfer the BAT to a shiny new OS and version of Brave? I don’t want anything to do with Uphold until I’m ready to do something with the funds. That’s going to be another headache because… Uphold.

I just updated using your recommendation. And I just lost a lot of BAT doing it. I had about 390 BAT and now I only have 206.5. How do i fix it?

I think I’l first try to use my BAT recovery key, before the panic sets in!

BOOM! The recovery key fixed it. :joy:

Bless your heart having to deal with us boomers! :sweat_smile:

Last one. I’m getting ads again, thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.