First, My system:

Summary
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 70 °C
Windsor 90nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 374MHz (5-5-5-18)
Motherboard
MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.LTD 785GTM-E45 (MS-7549) (CPU 1) 127 °C
Graphics
E2350 (1920x1080@60Hz)
SyncMaster (1600x900@60Hz)
DELL IN1910N (1366x768@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (ASUStek Computer Inc) 48 °C
Storage
465GB Hitachi HDP725050GLA360 ATA Device (SATA) 35 °C
931GB Seagate ST1000DX001-1NS162 ATA Device (SATA) 38 °C
Optical Drives
ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

I know it’s a pretty light-weight PC but with all the troubles people have been having with the Windows 8 and 10 updates i’m glad i’m still on Win7 and have no plans to go out and spend money on a new PC that i can’t afford which might delete my personal files the next day such as Windows 10 did with their Oct. update.

I also keep my system very lean so it performs wonderfully.

I come from Firefox. It is not unusual for me to have Visual Studio open on one screen, Multiple reference documents open in a dozen tabs on another screen, and streaming media or a highly graphically demanding application open on my third screen.

I can not do this with Brave.

Just about every time I access the hard drive or work the CPU harder than 50% brave will appear to be freezing my computer for sometimes minutes at a time. It’s as if it’s unloading/reloading tabs, caching and re-loading the cache etc… it’s just so very bulky and encumbered when used while other applications are open. Even just running my MS Office on another screen or accessing my SVN network will lag out my PC when brave is open.

I’ve toyed with hardware acceleration, enabling background applications in brave, disabling my only 2 extensions, and so on. The truth is it just has terrible memory management and reminds me of why I stayed with Firefox instead of Chrome.

I believe in the BAT token and how it stands to replace Adsense and other such advertising deployments. But I will hardly ever be using Brave while it has this anti-multitasking issue.

I know a lot of these problems are inherited from the Chome engine it appears to be built on and not directly the fault of the Brave developers themselves, but if Windows Brave ends up only being able to work with PCs that are relatively fresh and new without massive tinkering then you will be counting out a lot of your adamant fans/supporters and the “Grandmas that think a CD tray is a cup holder” type of individuals.

I’m not looking for anyone to proved me a 100 step checklist of how to improve the performance with tweaks and tinkers and extensions, i’m just providing feedback and hoping that down the road Windows Brave becomes more lightweight and streamlined.

I’ve been trying to use brave for several months, so this isn’t a “I used it once” feedback post.

Thank you for reading.

1 Like

Which version are you running? Is this muon browser or the new brave-browser?

Version 0.56.12 Chromium: 70.0.3538.77 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I just noticed there is an update apparently waiting. I’ll apply the update and post back after a few days of use to report any performance observations.