Issue when downloading files to a mounted SFTP folder

Description of the issue:

When I try to save a file to a remote sftp server (mounted), the download doesn’t happen and the save location popup disappears. No error message is shown.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Initiate a download with “Ask where to save each file before downloading” turned on
  2. Choose a folder mounted with SFTP in the dialog
  3. Click “save”

Expected result:
The file should download at the remote location but doesn’t.

Brave Version:
Version 1.59.124 Chromium: 118.0.5993.117 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

• I’m running Manjaro linux with Gnome DE
  • It works fine on Firefox 119.0
  • It works fine on a local folder
  • When choosing a folder in the SFTP location as a default save location, the change isn’t saved and I get back to the default local downloads folder.

@Rphad
Thank you for reaching out.
Will ask the Linux team about this — however, can you please tell me where/how you installed Brave? Was this via the official instructions provided on Brave.com or was this via snap or flatpak?

1 Like

I installed it using pacman -S brave-browser as mentioned in the instructions (I’m actually on Manjaro), and I’ve been updating it using pacman -Syu . I just noticed that it’s part of the unofficial packages, so should I install it in another way ?

Hey @Mattches , have you had time to ask the Linux team ?

@Rphad,
Apologies for the late reply here.
So I have a couple questions for you here:

1. Can you please try downloading/saving something there, then tell me how it appears in brave://downloads?
  2. Additionally can you please check the permissions granted to that directory?

The issue you’re describing seems to match the behavior of a permissions issue.

2 Likes

@Mattches,

1. Nothing at all appears on the brave://downloads tab, not even an error message saying it failed or something
  2. The directory (and subdirs) appears to have a drwxr-xr-x type of permission to it. The ls command also lists my username in both the User and Group columns.

@Rphad,
Apologies for the late response. I’ll be filing an issue for this later today, as we cannot seem to reproduce the issue on our end.

1 Like

@Rphad,
Here is the issue — can you also tell me whether or not you downloaded/installed the browser via official Terminal instructions or if you downloaded via snap or flatpak?

Thank you, I’ll follow that issue closely. As I said in a previous message, I downloaded Brave using pacman -S brave-browser (as mentioned in the instructions) and I’ve been updating it using pacman -Syu ever since.

1 Like

Apologies — totally missed that part of your post. Thanks again

1 Like

So apparently this sorted itself out. It’s now working on Brave version 1.60.125 Chromium: 119.0.6045.199 (Official Build) (64-bit).

I also updated my Linux kernel (to 6.6) since the initial post. I don’t know if it could have made a difference, but I thought it would be worth mentioning.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.