Is there any way I can recover my 11 year old son’s browsing history?

Hello and thanks in advance for your help.

Given the pandemic and need for remote learning we had to get our 11 year old son his own computer and he has been spending increasingly more time on it. The day before yesterday we checked his browsing history and realized that he had visited some undesirable sites but we weren’t able to go through all his browsing history. The following day his browsing history had been deleted. Is there any way this can be recovered? We would like to know what sites he visited to tailor the conversation and design and appropriate response to keep him safe.

Can you please help us?

Thank you in advance.

I’m afraid it’s not possible once the history is deleted.

From a Command Prompt, type:
ipconfig /displaydns

This will list recent connections, but these can be from any app, not just Brave.

I don’t know if the following will work, but it may be worth a try:

From what i understand about Chrome, deleting history deletes a history file stored as an SQLite database. If Brave uses the same method, then running a file recovery tool such as Recuvva in:

Appdata/local/bravesoftware/brave-browser/userdata/default

Or wherever user settings are.
Then look for a ‘history’ DB file (possibly an SQLite DB).

Get Brave Portable from Portapps.io, put it on a usb stick. Copy the recovered history DB to the Default folder in the user directory. Open Portable Brave and see if the history is there.

Or just use SQLite to query the recovered history file. Something like the methods shown here.

I’ve made a lot of assumptuons about Brave in the above, so it could all be a waste of your time if history isn’t stored in this way.

Hi Scriber,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. It’s worth trying everything! I really appreciate it.

Thank you eljuno for answering.

Best regards.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.