Is the Bookmarks file (from a backup/export) viewable?

While I mostly like the way bookmarks are handled in Brave, the lack of any kind of global view of bookmarks with their associated URL’s is a significant limitation.

Is there any way to view a backup/export bookmarks file and see that information in one shot?

Alternatively, can a stripped-down version of the file be created (e.g., a ‘plain text’ file) with some utility program that would provide the same information?

Thanks.

Brave Beta v. 1.33.90 Chromium: 96.0.4664.45 (Official Build) beta (x86_64)
Mac OS Mojave (OS 10.14.3)

What info are you looking for?

If you export them from Brave, the result is an HTML file which you can either open in the browser, or, in a text editor. Does that give you what you need?

@JimB1

If you export them from Brave, the result is an HTML file which you can either open in the browser, or, in a text editor.

Thanks, I want to be able to quickly identify duplicates, triplicates, quadruplicates or worse, so that I can get rid of them. Viewing URL’s within Bookmark Manager is limited to going one-by-one. Even then, you can’t easily compare them because the URL for each selected bookmark displays only as long as it’s selected, and disappears as soon as you select any other bookmark.

Do you know where the ‘export’ files are stored (i.e., the path)?

From what you wrote they’re in readable format and should be able to be sorted to show the duplicates.

(There might still be a problem if the bookmark names/titles that are associated with the URL’s aren’t always unique – i.e., if a generic name/title refers to more than one URL – but it’s better than nothing.)

When you do an export you get prompted for the location to save the file. If that isn’t happening for you maybe there’s a setting someplace but that should be the default behavior.

If your main goal is to clean up your Bookmarks, and if you aren’t adamantly opposed to using an extension, I recommend Bookmark Dupes. It works great and has a lot of options. And you can always disable it when you’re done.

Whatever you end up doing, probably goes without saying that you should use the Export function to take a backup first – just in case.

1 Like

@JimB1 Thanks again. I had wanted to see if I could figure out why an unsolved problem I’ve reported here was occurring.

I described that problem in this thread: Bookmark Manager: Persistent display of multiple instances of the same bookmark when there's actually only one

Quick Summary:

“Many searches in Bookmark Manager display duplicate or (even more often) multiple results.
One would think this is because I had saved the same bookmark more than once.
But when I click on ‘Show in folder’ for each one, they all display the same folder location.
Yet the folder (when opened) displays the bookmark only once.”

I thought that viewing the bookmarks as a global list in the ‘export’ file (i.e., as ‘plain’ or ‘html’ text) might help me figure out why that happens – but now that I’ve done that, although the ‘html’ file does display the titles of all bookmarks (and their folders) in a global view, no URLs are displayed.

So I’ll just try Bookmarks Dupes (thanks for mentioning it).

So far I can’t understand the explanation of use of the ‘Expert’ mode, which seems aimed at programmers. Does the basic use of the extension get the job done? (It seems like it does: “In non-expert mode, two bookmarks are considered to be duplicates of each other if their URL coincides.”)

Frankly I never tried Expert Mode as I was already nervous enough without it. :slight_smile: Having a backup helped with that though, of course.

But I was able to slice and dice thru my saved bookmarks without that. I did have to do some things such as deselect contents of certain folders (since I use ‘Tabli’ to save tab sets and it saves those as Bookmarks). But again Export Mode was not needed.

It’s likely that you won’t need it either once you make sense out of how the extension works.

@JimB1 Okay, I won’t worry about Expert Mode, then. :wink:

I also use Tabli, though mostly just to quickly locate tabs. For that alone it’s worth its weight in gold.

The developer wanted to create an interface that combines the features of tabs and bookmarks. An interesting idea but I’ve never been able to get behind bookmarks for anything but websites (not, e.g., for documents).

I can understand, tho, the usefulness of ‘bookmarking’ a window’s tabs to people (like the dev) who open a lot of tabs during a session that they later want to disappear (along with their associated bookmarks), always reverting that session window to a specific array of tabs.

Thanks again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.