Is Mozilla's new Quantum engine not an option anymore?

Perhaps this is no longer an option for you but I just wanted to get a broader idea of Brave’s current Chromium based engine and whether you’re obligated now to use that engine indefinitely over newer technologies. I also wanted to ascertain any issue’s it may bring and possibly discuss with a couple of members about any implications that would prevent you from adopting Mozilla’s new Quantum engine and newer technologies/languages for that matter.

It’s widely understood that newer technologies and languages are being optimized to enhance software and not to annoy you because you’re already obviously aware of this, but Apple’s change to Swift and its switch to use the language across its products and Google’s new Fuchsia optimizing rather ironically Mozilla’s Rust language and Mozilla using the language in it’s soon to release Quantum engine seems an indication that greater performance and efficiency lies with Mozilla’s technology. Furthermore, I remember distinctly that we/the community once got into a discussion of the reason as to why you chose the Chromium engine over Mozilla’s almost deprecated older Gecko engine and your description of the issue was reasonable and you clearly stipulated that it wasn’t entirely Google’s engine that you were optimizing to deflect some users concerns around privacy and that you investigated it thoroughly and the results were clear. Chromium it was to be.
That being said, given the great enhancements made to Mozilla’s new Quantum engine, will you be implementing it, or is this not an option any more?

Assuming it was an option, could your fork of Electron (Moun) operate with Mozilla’s new engine without any major rewrites, essentially making an easy/flexible possibility?

This again is in reference to 1.0’s major goal of ‘Make this the best browser for quality and performance imaginable’.

A for argument to implement Quantum apart from it’s performance - I imagine if this was an option, your implementation of the Tor Private Browsing (TPB) feature may be more easy. I state this because, I read on Github where someone explains the challenges that Chromium poses to properly implementing TPB because of the nature Chromium. (I’ll post the link if a reply is made surrounding this issue, otherwise I want waste your time any further)

Thanks for reading.

@Numpty

Thanks for pointiing me over to this. I’ve read a lot about Quantum, Rust, etc. For me, it’s not the technology that’s the problem, it’s the implementation of that technology. Firefox Quantum has less options than its predecessors, and, for me at least, that’s a problem. For example, I know the guy who invented Javascript is also a Brave developer (and yes, that scares me), but, Javascript is arguably the largest security problem on the web right now, since Flash is going away.

In earlier Firefox iterations, I could disable Javascript quite easily. Now, I have to go into “about:config”, click on “I accept the risk”, type “javascript.enable” and then double-click on that to disable javascript. I then have to either leave that tab open or do that whole setup again for every page I visit where I want JS on or off. And that’s just one issue. Add to that the complete abandonment of fantastic plugins, which were able to change Firefox in a positive (or negative) manner.

No thank you, Mozilla. That’s why I’m trying Brave. It has its problems in rendering, following links and allowing ads through. I’m not sure if it will be my FF replacement, as I cannot custimize the security, or so it seems (WebGL, WebRTC (I’m waiting for a solid answer on this one), et al.).

RE: On topic, I am not familiar with the differences between Rust & Fuchsia, but they feel the same, if you know what I mean. I am interested to see if the developers plan to continue using the Chromium base.

I would really love to see the Quantum engine implimented. It would be a huge bonus in my browsing. I hear it uses half the resources of Electron/Chromium on Ubuntu, and I have a low-end computer (Intel Cleron with 2GB RAM) so that is the main reason I use Firefox. I used Firefox a while ago (I was a Chrome user then) and loved the experience, but it was just SLOW. I then I tried out Brave, it was so restrictive (not much extensions, hard to import info from other browsers). Then I went back to Chrome. When Firefox Quantum came out, I thought that I should try it. I loved it! It worked just as good as Chrome. Since then I have been using Firefox. Since installing Brave on Linux is easy (just do sudo snap install brave --beta) I decided I would try it out again. I am writing this message on Brave right now. Now I think that I will go back to Firefox (so much control over the browser).

P.S. Another thing that has bugged me whenever I install Brave on Linux, is that default browser with Brave does not work at all. No links open here, I have to manually copy/paste them here.

They’re making headway on the implementation of the Tor feature to be implemented around the Chromium engine, so I think this suggestion now and in the long run is pretty much futile.
What a pity because I’m sure if Brave were to start the company beginning of 2018, they would have optimized the Quantum engine instead.

Couldn’t you guys contemplate doing something radical by outsourcing and organizing a paid hackathon to replace the Chromium engine and opt for Mozilla’s Quantum?

Far be it from a yuppie like me to insinuate that the current team is not not capable of it but I questioned it as for form of encouragement :slight_smile: as I don’t think it’ll be considered it anymore. :frowning:

Love the thoughts all-around. Thanks y’all!

As you can all probably guess, swapping out engines is not a thing that can happen in a weekend hackathon (though I would be absolutely delighted to be proven wrong) :wink:

Choosing an engine isn’t a light matter either. Performance, maintenance, ease of extensibility, and web compatibility are just a few of the upfront concerns.

If you’re interested to dive in more, Matt Brubeck’s work is a fun place to start. https://limpet.net/mbrubeck/2014/08/08/toy-layout-engine-1.html https://github.com/mbrubeck/robinson

Cheers!

Rather ironically, a former co-founder of Opera delved a bit more into this discussion here at 16:04 - https://soundcloud.com/vivaldibrowser/vivaldi-community-ama-jon-von-tetzchner

I’d recommend everyone viewing this topic, disappointed and gutted by @alex 's remark to listen to the bit on SoundCloud.

Stick to these parts specifically in relation to the topic - (3:34 - 5:05), (16:04 - 20:46)

The issue for me with FF quantum, is that I was able to run the older version of FF on my cheap budget PC. Keep in mind I was running a 64 bit version of the browser before quantum released and it ran just fine. Once I went to quantum, things went downhill for me in terms of video playback not just on YouTube, but other websites as well. I tried to adjust to quantum I really did, but Brave is a much better experience for me.