Is it possible to recover the wallet seed from Brave browser files extracted from a broken laptop?

My old laptop has a shorted logic board, and the cost of repair is greater than the value of the machine. The issue is that I did not back up the seed for the wallet on the Brave Browser for that device. So my question is, is it possible to access the seed from the browser data files extracted from my old laptop?

Obviously I should have backed up the seed… but I made an error relating to how the Brave Browser works. I assumed that if you downloaded the browser on a new device, similar to Chrome, you could just login and all your data would be imported to the browser on the new device.

Any tips or workarounds much appreciated!

@itsmemarshall,
Thanks for reaching out! Unfortunately no, you’re not able to recover your wallet seed in this way. I apologize for the inconvenience.

@itsmemarshall you might be able to restore your profile directory to your new computer and have this work. Which OS are you using?

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I’m using Mac OS

How do you restore a profile? Can’t see how to do this anywhere in settings

So for our release version, you can find it in

$HOME/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser

Sorry I’m not super technical, do I need to search for that file path in the recovered files from my old laptop? How then do I restore that profile in the browser on my new laptop? Thanks so much for your help.

Hi @itsmemarshall yes if you have recovered files from your old laptop, you should look in your home directory under the path I gave you. If you install a fresh Brave, and then put those files back in the same path on the new laptop it may restore what you had.

how can I do this in Windows 10

@aswin700 I believe on Windows your profile data should be under %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.