Is it possible to have the "auto-hide"/ new tab option for the Bookmarks Toolbar back?

Description of the issue:

Hello!

I noticed that one of the most helpful features for those of us with limited screen space is gone–I refer to the bookmarks toolbar “auto-hide” (for lack of better expression) option. By that I mean that it used to be the case that one could have the bookmarks toolbar to appear only when opening a new tab. The moment one clicked on any of the links or browsed to any website, the toolbar would automatically disappear. A brilliant idea that is greatly missed.

(I’m aware of the CMD + Shift + B shortcut, but having to do that with each tab is not really viable.)

Sounds like a niggle, and it might as well be, but that was such a convenient feature that one got used to having that at hand. Is there any way that it could be added again in future Brave updates? Please?

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
Open new tab -> bookmarks toolbar is there -> goes to any website -> bookmarks toolbar no longer there.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:
Just have that feature again. (:slight_smile:

Reproduces how often:
Whenever opening a new tab/ window.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
OS Mojave 10.14.6
Version 0.68.131 Chromium: 76.0.3809.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
Thanks for making such a wonderful browser!

4 Likes

PS. To the degree that it’s doable, layout-wise, I don’t see why having all of one’s bookmark toolbar’s links on the actual new tab (I refer to those icons under “Ads and Trackers Blocked” &c that can be pinned) wouldn’t be as desirable a feature as the auto-hide toolbar I mentioned on my original post.

Yeah I made a post about this myself, I don’t understand why they’d remove such a helpful feature, it made my browsing super fast, kind of disappointed, not sure they will bring that back but for now I guess they want us using the ‘control+shift+b’ to bring up and hide bookmarks as we need them. To me that is just a waste of time, and like I said I switched back to Firefox, at least there I have something similar and keeps my browsing fast.

If you have a programmable mouse you can record a macro with the following and then assign a button:

1. ctrl+ t (to open a new tab)
  2. ctrl + shift + b (to show the bookmarks bar)
  3. ctrl + shift + b (to hide the bookmarks bar)

If you leave a 6 second or so gap between 2 and 3 that gives enough time to click the bookmark you want before the bar disappears.

I appreciate the workaround, I really do, but I have neither the programmable mouse nor the technical expertise required to record a ‘macro’–I vaguely recall someone using that word within an MS Excel context. I’m simple: if I can enable/ disable something, I will do that; if I can’t, I just move on with my life.

Again, thanks for taking the time to try and help!

Here’s to hoping they will listen to reason (ie, the voice of us happy few) and re-introduce that feature. Perhaps they just removed it because the wanted us to miss it, like a strict parent who deprives his kids of a rare toy so that they will cherish it all the more?

Yeah I’m not going to be bothering either. Uninstalled Brave for the time being, just going with Firefox and Vivaldi for whatever I need Chromium for now. I’ll just keep an eye out see if in the future they bring it back and if not it’s ok, I can manage. Thanks anyways.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.