Is It Possible And Okay To Install Brave In Two Different Paths On Your Computer?

Is It Possible And Okay To Install Brave In Two Different Paths On Your Computer?

The reason I ask this question is because our internet is not stable and slow; and I have several tabs open on several Brave windows and the ones I don’t want to close I just leave open and shutdown the computer so when I reopen Brave after turning my computer back on, all my tabs are automatically open. But the problem is that when I’m using the hotspot to try to watch something on Roku or do something else and want to use Brave simultaneously , when I open Brave, it slows down the tv channel because all the tabs may be trying to load their webpages.

So I was thinking about trying to install Brave in a different path on my computer so that I can open that Brave and only have one one window open so that it reduces the lag or buffering of the Roku channel that results from having too many windows with many tabs open.

If anyone has any ideas about this, feel free to let me know; and Thank You For Your Help.

@nwbray

potato - potatoe

https://www.chromium.org/developers/memory-usage-backgrounder/

Multi-Process Model Background

To understand Chromium’s memory usage, let’s understand the multi-process model. Unlike other browsers, Chromium is divided into multiple processes.

When Chromium starts up, it will initially have two processes. One process is the browser process which controls the main browser functionality, and the other is the initial renderer process , which runs the Blink rendering engine and JavaScript (V8).

Each time you open a new tab in Chromium, you’ll likely get a new renderer process. With typical browsing, it is common to see 5-7 chrome.exe processes active.

Further, if you utilize plugins, apps, or extensions, they may also execute within independent processes.

All of Chromium’s processes, whether it is a browser process, a renderer process, or a plugin process, will show under the Task Manager as “chrome.exe”.

Chromium, not CHROME, is a major portion of Brave Browser for Android, Linux OS, Mac OS, Windows OS (but not for iOS).

Chromium itself, is a web browser. From a description at chromium.woolyss.com:

https://chromium.woolyss.com/?stb=1#windows-64-bit

Chromium is a blend of different important open-source projects:

Yes you can run two instances of Brave at the same time.

Put the following in a batch file:

Start “” “C:\Program Files\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application\brave.exe” --user-data-dir=“C:\path-to-your-data-directory”

Alternatively, you could just set up a second profile and use that to watch Roku or whatever.

2 Likes

I looked up what a batch file is on ComputerHope and if I understand what I read correctly, a batch file is a file with the extension .bat and it can contain a list of commands to run.

If I put: Start “” “C:\Program Files\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application\brave.exe” --user-data-dir=“C:\path-to-your-data-directory” and open the batch file and Brave opens, how do I stop the batch file from running?
Does it automatically stop running once I close that instance of the Brave Browser?

Concerning “profile,” do you mean creating a user profile in windows operating system?

Thank you for the information.

1 Like

@nwbray

Create an additional Profile:

The Brave Browser user Profiles are in sub-folders of the ‘User Data’ folder at:

• C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\

The initial user Profile created with your original installation of Brave Browser, is in the folder named ‘Default’ at:

• C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default\

After that, the next Profile that you create, will cause the creation of a folder named ‘Profile 1’:

• C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Profile 1\

After that, the next Profile that you create, will cause the creation of a folder named ‘Profile 2’:

• C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Profile 2\

And so on . . .

If you want to copy your ‘Default’ folder ‘Bookmarks’ and ‘Bookmarks.bak’ files, over to your newly-created ‘Profile 1’ folder . . . you may do so.

If you Exit / Quit Brave Browser, then you may copy the bookmarks files, between user Profiles.

Thus, when you open your spare user Profile - that you want in order to not interfere with the TV - your spare user Profile will have the bookmarks that you like.

1 Like