Is clearBrowsingData just as good as starting up a new incognito tab?

This is a two part question:

1. I have Brave set to clear cookies, cached images/files, auto-fill form data, and hosted app data on exit. Is this just as effective (in terms of privacy on the web) as using incognito tabs? Of course locally, I leave my history alone and clear that manually instead whenever I see fit, but it’s my understanding that your browsing history is 100% local and can’t be accessed by sites. Is my understanding correct?

2. Other than clearing on exit, would clearing everything manually (advanced, all time, same settings as clear on exit) be just as good as restarting my browser that clears everything on exit?

2 Likes

Hello @pufferfish

not sure what you mean with locally ?

here some of how site work

when you visit a website they keep some info on your device like cookies and other storage stuff so that when you visit them again they can show you the same experience you had before like maybe you change the theme like use dark mode or something using some other option they offer login

so when you clear your cache it clear those stuff that the sites saved before when you use the incognito mode it clear those stuff once you close it so you can say it auto clear it but per site

sites still can know you if you login again cause they already has an account for you
also if you have a fixed ip then they can predict if it was you or not

security and privacy is not about single app or tool it about a process that sites want to break it and you use tools to keep it strong

and have a nice day :slight_smile:

1 Like

As for browsing and download history, I was asking if my understanding that it cannot be seen by websites is correct. I’m not referring to the broader internet, I’m referring to the actual “Browsing history” and “Download history” in my browser.

I understand what clearing cookies and cache does, I’m just looking for confirmation that it would be just as good as starting a fresh incognito session or if there’s some lingering data that the clearBrowsingData setting doesn’t delete.

2 Likes

if you choose to clear from the beginning of time then both are the same

2 Likes

All the same.

When a Private Tab is closed, it deletes every single bit of browsing data on exit.

If you setup Brave to delete every single bits of data on exit, then you have turned Brave into a Private Tabs Only browser.

Same with any browser, not just Brave.

Seems brighter?

1 Like