Is Brave intended to support RHEL Linux installations?

linux

I just started using Brave at home on MacOS, and it works well. But I use CentOS at work, and it seems there is no way to run Brave on it (probably all RHEL installations) without the --no-sandbox option, which is properly discouraged.

I followed the relevant instructions for installing on Linux, especially the part about enabling user namespaces in the kernel. I verified that my kernel has been updated (see below), but still Brave refuses to launch and says there is no usable sandbox.

I searched quite a bit, on this forum, the Brave/browser-laptop Github project, Stack Overflow, and the web in general. I see people posting a fix for Linux, but it’s usually expressed in terms of Debian. I think I’m doing the equivalent on CentOS by enabling user namespaces, but apparently something else is keeping it from working with CentOS. I did see a few posts from CentOS users having the same problem I do, but those posts are closed, with either no response or responses about how to make it work on Debian.

It would be great if I’m just missing something and someone can show me what that is. Otherwise, I’d just like to know if the dev team is aware that it doesn’t work on RHEL, and whether there are plans to make it do so. Most of what I read about Brave on the net seems to have the perspective that Linux = Debian. I’m mostly a RHEL user, so if Brave isn’t going to work there, I’d like to know.

Here is my kernel info after enabling user namespaces:

#  grubby --info="$(grubby --default-kernel)"
index=0
kernel=/boot/vmlinuz-3.10.0-693.5.2.el7.x86_64
args="ro crashkernel=auto rhgb quiet rd.shell=0 LANG=en_US.UTF-8 user_namespace.enable=1"
root=UUID=ac669546-70c0-4acc-8d67-bccdb9428d7d
initrd=/boot/initramfs-3.10.0-693.5.2.el7.x86_64.img
title=CentOS Linux (3.10.0-693.5.2.el7.x86_64) 7 (Core)

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.