iPad - New Tabs Don’t Focus Address Bar Input

Description of the issue:
On iPad, when opening a new tab the address bar is not automatically focused for input. This is a bug. On iPhone it does, and desktop, and of course Safari and all other browsers I’ve used across platforms do. This bug persists whether or not a physical keyboard or built-in software keyboard is being used.

Personal Note: This is so annoying that I created a Brave Community account just to report it.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Open a new tab on iPad
  2. Congrats, your address bar’s input is not in focus for input. :sunglasses::sob: You have to manually tap it to start inputting.

Expected result:
Address bar is highlighted when opening a new tab on iPad.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.47 (23.2.1.14) (Note: this has persisted across multiple app versions)

Mobile Device details
iPad Pro 12.9 (5th generation)
iPadOS 16.2 (Note: this has persisted across multiple OS versions)

Additional Information:
I don’t have access to the brave codebase, but I think this could be as easy as setting the input focus in the method when making the call to open a new tab? (Maybe it’s being overwritten since I’d have thought WebKit/Safari on iOS would have this has default behavior.)

1 Like

Hi there @esthor please accept my apologies for this issue. Does the address bar get focused when opening a new tab in private mode?

Be waiting for your response.

1 Like

Yes, I can confirm the same (mis)behavior in Private tabs.

1 Like

@esthor try the following:

1. Launch Brave, tap Menu --> Settings
  2. In the Features section, tap Brave Shields & Privacy
  3. Upgrade connections to HTTPS > disable

Let me know if that works.

Tried it and doesn’t change the behavior of opening new tabs.

And now I’m curious – was there some underlying implementation detail that made you think that forwarding HTTP to HTTPS would affect the keyboard focus?

Thanks for taking a look.

1 Like

I’ve shared this with our team and I’m waiting for further information on the matter. Once our team has answers, I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.