Integrate IPFS into Bookmarks

Proposing “Brave Bookmarks.”

Abstract

I’m in need of a mechanism in Brave where I can manage and pin my bookmarks as if I were on the IPFS Desktop browser. I’d like there to be an argument that turned the bookmark button into a pin to IPFS badge and my bookmarks were part of my node instead of exclusively through Brave Sync and cold storage. Additionally, I feel like it would be very useful to just drag and drop links to bookmark folders.

I’ve come up with a few possible implementations:

Social Media Elements

To start, I was thinking I’d like suggesting the sharing and curating of sharing/exploring each other’s people’s public Brave bookmarks. If you’re a Brave Creator you can have an ipfs:// content hash somewhere in your profile. Streamers/video essaysists often have a list of reference material they need to make available. Use case: "Click on my Brave Creator profile for my Brave Bookmarks for today’s references and mutual aid requests and events.

If you’re not a Creator you can still have some sort of mechanism that gathers people’s bookmark data and checks it against Creator’s websites that reads how many people have them bookmarked and spits out a “Suggested Sites” metric based of that. Then plug that data into Brave Search so that you can create sort of a rich presence. Like when you search for a popular IP and their socials and wiki profile pop up on the side menu and would help with the “Did you mean?” stuff. Might also prove helpful for getting Brave ads shown to the right people. I use and promote Brave but (in my experience) many people aren’t interested in the ads shown to them. I think this could help with that.

Tokenizing Privacy/Submarining

An option for encrypted and submarined would also be a welcome, possibly paid, addition.
As such, I suggest implementing a BAT pay-gating mechanism in order to limit API requests (internal or otherwise) In my headcanon, this would be implemented in a way to where I have a settings menu that authorizes a BAT balance to be spent on being allowed to submarine, encrypt (multi-sig maybe?), and pin said bookmarks. As a tokenized asset creator, I find many of the available mechanisms to do this leave much to be desired. Elsewise, it would be good to have the ability to pay in-browser to fuel persistence and privacy. Not to knock the dapps that do already do this, but it’s not as accessible or private as I’d like it to be.

User Access Control

Possibly would have a “locked” folder or a “private” folder that needs a msig to be unlocked as well. I don’t have the language to speak on cybersecurity on a technical level but being able to password lock a bookmark that can be unlocked by holding a token in the Brave Wallet could be useful for some. If Bobby steal Alices’ purse and it has her laptop in it. This way Bobby can’t access sensitive bookmarks he might want to use for nebulous ends. Because not only are they private locally and encrypted in the network, but they can be token-gated.

Tokenizing Brave Bookmarks

For my day job, I have to make a lot of playlists. I am obsessed with lists, and I am fascinated with figuring out new ways to organize them more efficiently. I gather a number of resources and don’t want to be bothered making a website or writing copy to explain what you’re reading. For instance, I’ll have 1 playlist across 6 platforms, and I’d like to be able to tokenize the parent link in such a way to where I can spend 5 hours in the bookmarks manager organizing 20 years of my bookmarks and then clicking a button and instantly having that directory structure saved. Then I’ll be able to save those hashes around and archive them by year, country, etc. Would make it easier to have sets of bookmarks.

Phishing Prevention

Let’s say your friend messages emails you a link and you’re unaware that they’ve been compromised, or you make the mistake of clicking on a typositter link. My stepdad growing up used to be so paranoid about bookmarks and phishing that he exclusively typed in the address in the bar every single time. If he had some mechanism on his browser that would let him check the hash of his links, he would always refer to the hash tables he’s printed off and can save himself some extra typing by checking against his “cold storage brave bookmark DHT table” as I’ve come to call it. Or maybe hover over the links to see the hash. Whichever implementation, I think being able to easily compare the human-readable content and the hashes in the context menus could go a long way in providing extra layers of security.

Indexing

As a sub-thought of phishing, I feel like having an opt-in publicly accessible DHT table of lists of website links has a few interesting use cases. Like with all these links people are saving you can possibly build something resembling a search engine that doesn’t need a cache because its protocol itself is the cache. You could wrap “suggested sites” on the Brave Search engine based on an API that reads from publicly posted sites associated with Brave creators that lets you turn their ipfs:// content hash into an RSS-style item in your bookmarks.

Brave Creators

To carry on from my last point. Possibly an API (pubsub?) that allows creators to use bookmarks to push out updates and stay connected with their fans. Having had been a Web1 and Web2 website operator, I found it pretty simple to sign up as a creator but setting up my own IPFS website has proven to be slightly beyond my skillset. Allow me to link my creator accounts with to a content hash that’s a pubsub-bookmark implementation. It would need to integrated into the bookmark manager itself. I know a lot of browsers don’t support RSS anymore, and I think something like this could completely replace the need for it. I think it would make having a Web3 creative presence much more accessible were bookmarks implemented in this way. I envision something like digg/image boards from back in the day, except you’re hosting, publishing, and commenting via Brave via IPFS.

Promulgating IPFS

I believe IPFS is a public good and needs to be implemented in as many ways as possible.

Summary

I miss gopher servers and I miss RSS. I love publishing, persistence, and privacy. I’ve been adding to the same set of bookmarks since 2003 and I never want to lose them.