Instagram videos do not play (new issue in 1.0.90)

Description of the issue: Videos on instagram.com not being played

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):

1. Open any video post on instagram.com
  2. Play the video

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!): Video does not play.

Expected result: Video plays.

Reproduces how often: Every time.

Brave Version(See the About Brave page in Settings): 1.0.90

Mobile Device details SM-P900 and SM-J500FN

Android/iOS Version 5.0.2 and 6.0.1

Additional Information: Example: https://www.instagram.com/p/ButoDufhAys/
Autoplay is off (enabling it does not help), video playback is on, 1.0.89 worked so this bug has been introduced with 1.0.9. Also Chrome 73.0.3683.90 (same Chromium version as Brave 1.0.90) works without problems. So it is definitely something Brave related.

@Brave_user,
Instagram videos play without issue on my end (Samsung galaxy s9). I see that you’re also seeing Amazon Video playback issues in your other thread. Can you try playing the Instagram video with Shields down?

I have tried it with shields up and down. No difference. Instagram videos play without problems on Chrome 73.0.3683.90 and Brave 1.0.89.

Tried a clean install on one device: 1.0.89 works. 1.0.90 does not work.

Thanks for the info and the patience. Still digging into this. Does the video appear at all and just not play? What happens when you click the play button – is it just unresponsive? Any error messages?

1 Like

The video does appear. I can click the play button. Then the still picture of the video shortly flashes and the play button appears again. Their is no video data download in the background so it does not really start.

This behavior is consistent on many video containing websites. Notable exception is youtube which works fine in Brave.

1 Like

@Brave_user @Mattches Issue is reproducible on Brave 1.0.90 rc1. Even with shield down videos are not being played. Added comments in the issue.

Please track the issue here.

Thanks!

1 Like

Version 1.0.9 rc2 solved the issue.

1 Like