Incorrect keyboard shortcut

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Press shift-command-c
  2. Inspect elements opens despite the keyboard shortcut being option-command-c

Expected result:

Nothing since it is not bound to anything.

Or, in my case, it should trigger the Copy Link extension which it is bound to in the extensions keyboard shortcut page

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Additional Information:

@tknx,
You can go to brave://settings/system/shortcuts and set this command to whatever function you’d like :slight_smile:

Thanks - I went there - how do I remove an existing shortcut? Not sure whey there are two in there, and I want to use command-shift-C for the extension which is already setup.

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 12.14.20 PM

So either Extension shortcuts need to take precedence over in-built ones or you should be able to remove existing shortcuts (or both)

It looks like some shortcuts on macOS are tied to the system settings and unfortunately there does not appear to be any way around this without a [surprisingly] fair amount of work. The way it works (as I understand it) is basically that if there is a shortcut on the macOS Menu bar, then it is tied to the system settings.

I thought that if I perhaps changed what the shortcut was set to in macOS (via https://support.apple.com/en-nz/guide/mac-help/mchlp2271/mac), then I’d be able to remove the old one in the browser (or set another command to it) but unfortunately, the original Cmd + Shift + C shortcut remains and still cannot be removed. It also appears to override any other action set to that shortcut (for example, I set “Open Guest Window” to Cmd + Shift + C, but the shortcut still opened dev tools).

Will dig a bit further on this to see if there is any other solution but so far it does not appear to be possible.

I guess I have zero understanding of what you are saying, how is command-shift-c not an undocumented shortcut that Brave developers added in as per the image above? You guys control hijacking it for your own purposes, and not only that, in fact taking two shortcuts for it.

So… it seems the solution path is simple

1. In the short-term, remove shift-command-c as a shortcut for the dev console. In the menu option it only shows option-command-c

2. Add the ability to remove your own app assigned shortcuts. It sounds like you are saying those shortcuts are somehow required by Apple?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.