Incorrect geolocation 1.39

Description of the issue:
Browser shows my geolocation as Philadelphia, rather than actual location in central Texas.

How can this issue be reproduced?

; ;

1. Search for destination of interest in DDG Maps
  2. Click on Directions
  3. Notice starting address is not central Texas

Expected result:
Correct starting address

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.39.111 Chromium: 102.0.5005.61 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
I have not yet found any way to reset this data point.

ADVthanksANCE

-Jack (apparently lost in Philadelphia)

Hi and welcome to the community. :slightly_smiling_face: I’m a community member too. Had a few questions if you don’t mind.

1. Can you provide the url and a screenshot of the maps feature? I didn’t know DDG had a maps feature. When I go to duckduckgo.com, this is what I see:

2. Have you checked your settings at brave://settings/content/location?

3. In search.brave.com, you can enable autonomous location searches. Can you check to see if the switch is enabled/disabled? I don’t think it should impact ddg search engine (don’t know), just curious if you are experiencing the same problem using the brave search engine.

4. Have you checked the location settings in windows?

5. Does this work as intended in other browsers, especially chromium based browsers?

Sorry for posting so many! Just anticipating questions and additional information the moderators may ask for if they get involved! Could be way off base or could help. Hope it helps! Good luck and take care. :smiley:

1. Type in an address and you’ll get Screenshot 4. Click Maps and you’ll get Screenshot 6. Click Directions and you’ll get Screenshot 7 that incorrectly shows my starting location as somewhere east of San Antonio.

2. I definitely have Sites can ask for your location checked.

3. I clicked on the button in the red circle and Anonymous Local Results was turned off. I turned it on and clicked the button again to reveal that the location was indeed set to east of San Antonio. Manually setting the location to the correct location (east of Austin in Bastop, Tx) did not affect subsequent sets of Direction results. No screenshots of this because the saved screenshots did not include the data I needed to show.

4. I did the same manual adjustment of the stored location in the system Location Privacy settings in Windows 10, with no affect to the starting location.

5. Screenshot 8 shows a Microsoft Edge instance with the Microsoft Bing direction results, again showing the same incorrect starting location. I must assume that this is somehow IP-based.

Clearly, this is not an issue related to Brave alone, as other browsers show the same behavior.

The main reason I would like to resolve this issue is because when I’m shopping for items from online vendors, I get Philadelphia results when attempting to select My Store.

Any thoughts out there among The Illuminati? >8]

ADVthanksANCE

-Jack (still lost in central Texas)

Tagging @mattches to take a look. I could not find anything current at Brave GitHub or by doing a web search. Posted an open issue report from 2020 below, no idea if it relates. Seems like other users would be reporting this, especially if it is happening in multiple browsers and not just Brave. I didn’t ask, figured you weren’t, still… are you using a VPN?

In the meantime, posting some previous topics that have some troubleshooting information you might want to check. Various OS but the basics should be the same. Maybe something is happening that is unique to your installation? I am using windows and maps/location are working as intended.

I suspect this is a Chromium issue if it’s happening in other browsers. Could also be an issue with Apple maps, specifically. Looks like I can reproduce this but only when using maps on DDG (which uses Apple maps, btw). Google maps works just fine. Mapquest works just fine.
Have passed this information onto the team. Hope to have more information soon.

I tested in Chrome, Brave and Firefox, and got similar results. Not on VPN, though that could skew results.

I definitely have the problem on Google maps.

Curiously, my-location.org returns my correct location.

-Jack (retired programmer, guilty as charged)

@Chocoholic don’t know if there is a question by tagging my old report, but for now there is no issue with geolocation in Brave.

@thommes Just posted other topics that had issues with locations not being accurate that may have helped OP with troubleshooting. OP is having an issue. I think both Mattches and fanboynz are addressing issue, so linked references aren’t needed now. :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.