Importing HTML bookmarks crashes Brave


#1

Description

Attempting to load the HTML bookmarks file linked to below (produced by 64 bit Brave 0.20.42 running on 64 bit Windows 10 Fall Creators update) causes Brave to rapidly consume about 3 GB of RAM, run compute-bound for about a minute, then crash.

Steps to Reproduce

  1. Start with a fresh install of 64 bit Brave 0.20.42 for Windows (a created a new
    (throwaway) user identity for this)
  2. Load the bookmark file. (https://filedn.com/leGbIoL1KYRmt7tp7fFFsMH/26_02_2018.zip)

Actual result:

Brave crashes.

Expected result:

Bookmarks get loaded.

Reproduces how often:

100% of attempts, so far. [later update: Reproduced on an active profile, a fresh, empty profile, 3 different Windows 10 machines and one Ubuntu 16.04 LTS VM (Brave didn’t actually crash on Ubuntu, AFAICT, but Brave’s memory consumption increased rapidly and after top reported 0 swap space remaining I lost communication with the VM).]

Brave Version

Brave: 0.20.42
V8: 6.4.388.41
rev: 096c7cb3c75ebb518f72fc7d24bc2bbaedd50aed
Muon: 4.8.2
OS Release: 10.0.16299
Update Channel: Release
OS Architecture: x64
OS Platform: Microsoft Windows
Node.js: 7.9.0
Brave Sync: v1.4.2
libchromiumcontent: 64.0.3282.140

Reproducible on current live release:

Yes (if by that you mean: when I check for updates, it says no updates are available). [(slightly) later update: same behavior on 0.20.46, which appeared so after I posted this. And 0.21.18, 0.21.19, 0.21.20 and 0.22.4 - I doubt that I’m going to be trying this in every version, but I did want to establish that is wasn’t a fluke]

Additional Information

My current set of bookmarks was produced by scavenging my session-store when an earlier (18.xx?) version of Brave crashed. This is what I exported to created the HTML bookmark file.

Search bookmarks behaves oddly with my current (scavenged) bookmarks - I type in the Search box and the greyed-out text there flashes, but no characters are echoed. It worked earlier. I’m not sure which version broke this.

This is now also Issue 13356.


#2

I have the same problem. I just installed Brave hoping to switch away from Chrome due to my distrust of Google, and this is literally my first experience. Inability to import a 10MB bookmark file without the thing crashing.


#3

I just got a bright idea and tried to snag a memory allocation timeline on this in the DevTools. Unfortunately, the DevTools display just freezes as soon as the bookmarks start loading. [later edit: I should comment on the thing that prompted me to look at the memory tab in DevTools: I was looking at the thread stacks in procexp while Brave was eating memory and saw V8 on the stack quite a bit]


#4

Same here: crash upon import both from CHROME and from HTLM file (4,5 Mb) on Win 7 with an i3 of a few years ago and 8 GB ram. Even if started right after bootup, during the 10’ run before the crash I get RAM full and 1 CPU Core at about 100%. Crash is totally silent: Brave disappears from display and from process explorer, and RAM and CPU get back to normal.
It is a great pity, as it makes it impossible for me to use it.

Please team let us know what you think about this! Is it something you are working on? Is a solution in sight?

Brave 0.22.13
V8 6.5.254.41
rev a8cfb16
Muon 5.1.2
OS Release 6.1.7601
Update Channel Release
OS Architecture x64
OS Platform Microsoft Windows
Node.js 7.9.0
Brave Sync v1.4.2
libchromiumcontent 65.0.3325.181

#5

Just out of curiosity, can both of you reproduce the problem with the (zipped up) HTML bookmark file supplied in my original bug report?

It does seem a little odd to me that, given a platform and version independent bug, with a reproducer supplied, that there’s no sign of attention from the powers-that-be (and volunteers). Presumably, there are many, many other fish to fry [later edit: I suspect this https://brave.com/development-plans-for-upcoming-release/ is the main list of fish to fry and I suspect it means throwing away the existing bookmark-loading code]

I can still reproduce this with the latest release, beta and Chromium 66 preview channel versions (0.22.21, 0.22.109 and 0.22.663). Also, out of curiosity, I imported the file into Chrome (just installed 65.0.3325.181 for this purpose) - it successfully imported the bookmarks in about a second.


#6

I’m having the same issue when attempting to import my Chrome bookmarks into Brave (Windows 7 x64, both browsers 64-bit). Brave grinds and then exits. Not ideal.


#7

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.