I'm getting a really attrocious graphical bug as I am watching videos and browsing the web

Description of the issue:
Its as the title says, I was browsing and some sort of glitch effect was happening on my browser. I have examples in screenshots to show what I mean. When I went to Google Chrome, these issues were not present at all. I would hate to go back to Google Chrome as well because it feels slightly slower than the Brave Browser.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
I went onto a video, but it doesnt matter if I was full screen or not, the bug would happen. The video itself ends up being very choppy as well. The examples are shown at the bottom at Additional Information. Another thing to note is that this is not solely a Video issue, I had this issue even on webpages.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

This here is a recent one. I had tried to hide my bookmark’s bar but when I tried to, it wouldn’t go anywhere. So I had to edit a cover onto it. That being said, the visual bug was all over the new tab section. Pretty much anywhere i’d browse.

Upon even before opening the browser, it happened there too.

Reproduces how often:
Nearly 100% of the time.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

Anyone know what’s going on with the browser? Did anyone else encounter these issues?

Try disabling HW Acceleration brave://settings/system Also see if there is an updated GPU drivers. @Radon

How do I check for updated GPU drivers?

Is there also a way to use the browser with hardware acceleration? I play a browser game on it.

@Radon Enabling hardware acceleration will allow Brave to access your graphic processors. If there is a configuration incompatibility then you can have issues like you’re seeing.

If turning it off “fixes” the problem, then it suggests there’s an issue relating to your graphics card. This is why he suggested you check for updates to your drivers. As to how to update, there’s a variety of ways. Typically you want to go to the website for the company that makes it. Such as, let’s say you have Nvidia, you would get newest drivers at https://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx. The other option is you could always try to trust Windows would automatically find it, in which case you would just go to Device Manager on Windows and tell it to check for updates on your graphics card. Third option is still related to first, but sometimes your graphics card comes with its own program on your PC, which also will check for updates.

Then, of course, some come with programs/apps that help. Such as for Nvidia, they have GeForce Experience which can adjust settings and do updates for you. They also have game specific drivers you can get, which are tailor made to run games as smoothly as possible.

Last thing you can look at is to go to brave://flags and enable or disable Vulkan to see if it might make a difference.

1 Like

SIDE NOTE

If you truly don’t/didn’t know how to do things like update your drivers, you may want to try to set some time aside to research that in general. You should be checking for things like new BIOS updates for your PC, driver updates for just about everything on your device, etc. You’d be amazed at how big a difference they can make, not just in performance but in their keeping your device secure. (Windows has gotten better and updating for you, but they can miss updates and sometimes grab from unofficial sources, which is why I hesitate, but it’s the easiest way to go about it)

There’s a decent article/blog, or whatever you want to call it about that at https://www.malwarebytes.com/blog/news/2022/02/how-to-update-your-drivers-and-when-you-need-to

1 Like

Turning off Hardware Accelerator did “fix” the problem. So I suppose I should try to go to that site you suggested since my Graphic’s Card is NVIDIA. This issue happened rather suddenly, as it was used to Hardware Acceleration being on for the longest time.

Ill also try the other options you mentioned.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.