If playback doesn't begin shortly, try restarting your device

I’m running Linux Mint 18 and Brave 0.17.

When I open a web page which has video content and click on the video to play, I can see that the video is buffering and the circular progress indicator over the video is turning, but the video doesn’t play. Then a message pops up over the video saying: If playback doesn’t begin shortly, try restarting your device

The video will play if you either:
a) click on the timeline a couple of seconds in, or
b) refresh the page

This is not obviously a major issue, but just bringing it to your attention so you can make your great browser even better!

Name Version
Brave 0.17.13
rev f7242c7
Muon 4.1.7
libchromiumcontent 59.0.3071.109
V8 5.9.211.38
Node.js 7.9.0
Update Channel dev
os.platform linux
os.release 4.4.0-53-generic
os.arch x64

Does this happen quite often? Are you behind any VPN?

It happens all the time on both Linux and Windows 10 installations on the same machine (and Linux on my laptop).

It doesn’t happen on facebook or youtube, but seems to happen on videos embedded in other pages.

Both these videos caused the issue on each machine the first time the page and video were viewed. Once the page was refreshed it didn’t happen.

http://aviationhumor.net/co-pilot-you-cant-land-that-sir-look-at-the-storm-pilot-hold-my-beer-/

I think I see the issue. This happens when the media autoplay is set to Always Ask and when you play the video it shows the notification bar and click No shows up this message. If you click yes then the video plays after page refreshes.

cc: @anthony