I want to stop ALL autoplay

I do not want videos to autoplay in my browser.

I do not want ANY videos to autoplay.

Ever.

No exceptions.

NOT EVEN YOUTUBE.

And yet, I cannot stop it. My default autoplay setting is Block, yet Youtube says it is set to Allow. When I try to change that setting to Block, it sets itself to Allow. When I set it to “Block (default)”, it sets itself to “Allow (default)”.

This is unacceptable.

12 Likes

I have the same issue The main reason i migrated to brave was for the video blocking and ad blocking - neither are working on my desktop (win 1 pro) and my Android S9+. Is there a solution to these issues?

2 Likes

Youtube keeps autoplaying, no matter how I juggle the settings. Firefox manages this. Looking at past forum posts, it seems to be an ongoing issue with YT.

1 Like

+1. Auto-plays here too - but not all websites, maybe 70% of sites I visit.

(I’m testing Brave and Opera as a replacement to Chrome, so seeing the same behavior doesn’t provide much incentive to switch).

2 Likes

Quick easy answer: Install AutoplayStopper as an extension.

More complicated detailed answer: Brave’s Autoplay behavior is dictated by Chromium. Mid/late summer 2019, Chromium eliminated a previously-available flag that users could edit to control autoplay policy. Absent that editable flag, our only recourse is to install a 3rd-party extension. The good news: my experience with AutoplayStopper and reports I’ve read are generally favorable.

5 Likes

I just switched to trying to main Brave today (I’ve used it briefly here and there in the past) and hadn’t noticed this issue. Just tested it and yeah, it seems like the auto-play block setting doesn’t actually work correctly for me either.

What extension will block autoplay videos?

1 Like

If Chromium is dictating the performance of our browser, what am I doing here?

I don’t want ANY videos to auto-play on ANY website EVER. This is extremely frustrating. We shouldn’t have to sacrifice privacy in order to block auto-play behavior.

Is the Chromium project not “an open-source browser project that aims to build a safer, faster, and more stable way for all users to experience the web?” Take the millions you’re earning from the expansion of the Brave market and allot some to redevelopment and forking of the Chromium browser.

4 Likes

Firefox blocks 'em. Edge does too.

EDIT: Opera does too

1 Like

Does FF and Edge block them internally or do they use 3rd party extensions/plugins?

Yes, they use On/Off switch to allow or disallow

Nice try! I would like to continue to use the Brave browser. I’m not in the Opera community forum. I was merely adding my voice to bring attention to this glaring defect in the Brave browser.

I use Umatrix, Noscript and ublock it helps this issue, also it helps block scripts, ad and other things, I am unsure how you want to fix it. that is just another suggestion too. This also makes a better way of protecting your browser too. but you must learn how to use these add ons correctly. Using them is a pain at first, but after you get a hang of things it is quite easy to do.

Thanks for suggesting Umatrix, Noscript (actually NoScript) and ublock [sic]. Re: “ublock”, other users should carefully note — “uBlock Origin” is a distinctly different and well-regarded extension; I can’t speak to “ublock”.

The request posted by @Murgatroyd concerned stopping video autoplays, which is not directly addressed by any of the extensions you mention.

As noted in my December 2019 comment, there used to be a flag that could be edited to accomplish this. Mid/late summer 2019, Chromium eliminated this previously-available flag. I (and others) have found the AutoplayStopper extension does this. After a few more months’ experience with this extension installed, I can say: it’s worked well for me.

Screenshot (150)

Brave needs to acknowledge this problem and implement their own video autoplay flag. “Let’s protect our data together.” Also: “Install plug-ins that have access to read and change all your data on the websites your visit.”

oopsmy bad I ment UBlock Origin, not ublock. I use both made by the same Person.

Are we now suggesting that to make the Brave browser better than Opera and Firefox (or at least on par with them) that we need to blindly trust closed source add-ons to our browser?

1 Like

uBlock Origin is open source. What that is saying is that Brave hasn’t reviewed it, not that no one has reviewed it.

1 Like

Understood. I should’ve done my research before concluding that it was closed source. It is still my belief that Brave should enable an auto-play flag that works.

You’ll get no argument from me.

1 Like